CWD Positive

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rutnbuck

Re: CWD Positive

Unread postby rutnbuck » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:16 pm

I ate the one I shot 3 years ago. Was eating it before the letter came back. It's your choice but I would eat it. I wouldn't eat any of the organs but I usually don't eat that anyways. Nobody talks about the meat in the supermarket because it is good...that's what the FDA wants you to believe. Not this cat!!! Our fish are also loaded with contaminates...mercury, pcb's etc. We still eat them, not saying everyday but all in moderation.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:13 pm

ihookem wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Cripes! Seriously??? Its not like these little 'prions' are laying dormant in your stomach ready to wreak havoc on you body at any moment. Get over yourselves and live a little... :roll: You will be fine. I promise. :P

From a guy with a name like yours? Now I know. :lol:

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Cripes! Seriously??? Its not like these little 'prions' are laying dormant in your stomach ready to wreak havoc on you body at any moment. Get over yourselves and live a little... :roll: You will be fine. I promise. :P

Yeah, no bid deal. They are just lying dormant in the soil. Let's brush it off.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 pm

I'll be fine, and I tend not to just worry about myself. The future of deer hunting and prions is debatable.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:15 am

Haus86 wrote:I'll be fine, and I tend not to just worry about myself. The future of deer hunting and prions is debatable.

Thats the way I look at it too. Unfortunately most of the public doesn't fully understand the issue. Thomas Gray said it best... Ignorance is Bliss.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:22 am

Tap water could be what truly kills but I still drink it and give it too my kids. Some water pipes I feel are stained inside with embedded poisons . Other things will kill ya first before human cwd

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:56 am

I always find it interesting the same guys that tell me they are afraid to eat CWD infected deer are many times the same ones that also hunt without any type of safety harness. :?

DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:09 am

If you ain't gonna eat it you shouldn't be out there hunting.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 am

Dewey wrote:I always find it interesting the same guys that tell me they are afraid to eat CWD infected deer are many times the same ones that also hunt without any type of safety harness. :?

Its a little different than that. Let's say you're the first person to contracy human CWD. Many people die as a result. You are essentially ground zero. Some of us aren't just thinking about ourselves.

I agree though. There is no excuse to not wear a harness, lineman belt, etc.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 am

DropTyne wrote:If you ain't gonna eat it you shouldn't be out there hunting.

Even a rotting mercy kill?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:24 am

Wouldn't bother me... But I would not blame someone for not eating it.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:59 am

I think deboning your deer meat and using the proper field dressing gloves will help prevent this from crossing over to a person. However, you always have that "guy" who might possibly eat organs, brain, etc. In that case, it's definitely possible we could see the first human CWD case in the future.

However from an eating standpoint, I seriously doubt this could become an food borne illness and cross over to contaminate people in that way.
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:17 pm

I wouldn't eat it. I doubt anything would happen since there are plenty of people who have eaten CWD deer and nobody (that we know of) has contracted the disease. I might be one of those people as I have eaten deer from the CWD zone that were not tested and my processor cuts up deer that come from the CWD zone.

That said, there is a human prion disease so it is possible a human could be infected and if you know that the deer had CWD it isn't worth taking the chance.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:50 pm

JohnnieU wrote:I wouldn't eat it. I doubt anything would happen since there are plenty of people who have eaten CWD deer and nobody (that we know of) has contracted the disease. I might be one of those people as I have eaten deer from the CWD zone that were not tested and my processor cuts up deer that come from the CWD zone.

That said, there is a human prion disease so it is possible a human could be infected and if you know that the deer had CWD it isn't worth taking the chance.

I agree. If you know it has CWD just ditch it. It might be more mental, but you would have the piece of mind.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:59 pm

Haus86 wrote:Prions are scary and not to be taken lightly. I'm confident there will be a day when i will chose to no longer consume venison. I would hope the fact that squirrel monkeys are susceptible to CWD by intracerebral and oral inoculation is enough to make some people nervous.

If prions are scary and not to be taken lightly then why keep eating venison now?

People have been eating CWD deer for quite sometime, no one has died. What makes you think it will start harming/killing humans now?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”