getting busted when leaving the stand ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jdw
500 Club

Re: getting busted when leaving the stand ?

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:19 pm

If I am trying to hunt a stand on a field more than once a season. I set it up where there is an obstacle to prevent the deer from seeing my access to the tree. It could be a ditch, thick cover or some other feature that prevents the deer from seeing you until you are partway into the stand. The approach to and from the stand also needs to be from a different direction then the deer approach, and leave the field to reduce the chance of them smelling your ground scent after you leave.
It is not the most aggressive approach but it will work as a kill stand, and makes for a great way to watch the field until the time is right to move in for the kill.

CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:30 am

I plan to have enough spots that I only hunt once or twice per location. So if I run them off, no big deal. I do have a hard time believing that a person can get the tone and decible level close enough to fool deer into believing you are really a dog. I bet they run off thinking some crazy person is in the woods barking like a dog. In my experience, deer are much more courageous/curious after dark and will investigate not long after being ran off.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:46 am

I tell the deer to get out of here I'm leaving. Usually works pretty good. Usually the spot is burned anyway.I did bark like a dog once this year when a deer was coming in after dark. It worked pretty good also.I've walked right up on deer many times in the dark within bow range. They are a different animal under the cover of darkness.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:14 am

Ill weigh in... this season I got permission to hunt a private land spot. This place is not pressured and has great deer population. Access to this place is not essential for beast tactics, I guessed wrong on a bucks bedding area for the night and was walking out thru a field. I was after a certain buck, he was standing in the field, saw me and moved out w/o wasting time. Did not smell me at that point, yet moved on to another prime bedding area and actually "bunked up" w another big buck. We never saw him again in that area unless it was middle of the night and younger bucks moved into that bedding area. There is no doubt at that moment I knew it was over till rut and it was. I know he smelled my tracks and it was game over. I finally got a crack at him 2 days before rifle, I messed that up also but he survived.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 am

I got hung up good this year. A buck came in and bedded down in the morning. He was about 40 yards from the tree I was in. I tried my best to wait him out but it came to point where I needed to go. I just had to pull the stand and climb down. When I got to the bottom of the tree he was gone. Sometimes there just is no answer. I wasn't going to kill him anyway. I do hate to educate them anyway.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm

I found a spot one time in a WMA down here. It had a rub , a bed and scat all over the place. Figured it was a night time spot so I set and hunted a ladder stand that night. Well about 15 minutes before dark a deer comes running in just out of range. Waiting, waiting, waiting, hear it munching on acorns and still cannot see it. But I know it is real close. Well it gets dark and I have to leave. So I move ever so slowly down the ladder. I get to the last step and that deer snorts and snorts and is running away , still snorting. I had a good laugh :lol: because I new that deer did not know I was there. But that spot was forever burned the rest of the season. Nothing came to it again.

So I had to learn not to get so close.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”