Catch them going up or down

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

parkersdad

Catch them going up or down

Unread postby parkersdad » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:10 am

I have a new spot that I am hunting that is steep on both sides. The deer come up one side in the morning and cross the top and then go down the other side. Do you like setting up to catch them coming up the hill or move over the top and catch them when they crest the hill on the other side? Lets not talk about leeward or wind I want in a perfect scenario.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Crazinamatese

Re: Catch them going up or down

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:34 am

At the top just enough not to silhouette myself. Or find a tree on the top that can break up your outline and set up in it or next to it.. I like to be able to see or hear them coming from the bottom first, then have enough time to ready myself for a shot without worrying about being silhouetted against the sky.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:38 am

It is hard to talk perfect scenario especially in hill country.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks for the reply and I think you mean you like the deer coming from below you. I will be at the top in both situations. I am just asking do you like the deer to come from below or above you?

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:45 am

parkersdad wrote:Thanks for the reply and I think you mean you like the deer coming from below you. I will be at the top in both situations. I am just asking do you like the deer to come from below or above you?

I prefer them to come from the bottom, but most situations have them moving along the top where Im set up, which is ok too.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:51 am

Thanks for the replies

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
parkersdad wrote:Thanks for the reply and I think you mean you like the deer coming from below you. I will be at the top in both situations. I am just asking do you like the deer to come from below or above you?

I prefer them to come from the bottom, but most situations have them moving along the top where Im set up, which is ok too.

x2
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:33 am

dan wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:

x2

I get busted a lot when the deer come from above me, rarely when they come from below or are moving along the top with my stand along the top. I asked several questions on this site about setting up low to catch bucks in the evening and most of the experienced hill country hunters told me it usually doesn't work unless you have a perfect setup. My experience has shown the experienced hill country hunters' advice to be sound.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”