Question about beds in snow.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Question about beds in snow.

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:12 am

Last week, when I was out hunting in Vilas county, I came across two sets of beds in the snow. It was pretty neat to see how they were arranged, in a circle, with most right up against the trunk of a tree. I could see that from each bed, they had every single angle covered. I've never seen this before; it was pretty cool. One was on a north facing slope, with a thicker area of spruce below and the other was in a relatively flat area of mature white pines, with very little brush or other cover. Lots of poop nearby. No buck rubs so I'm assuming these were the does we saw almost every day.

My question is: is it likely these will remain preferred bedding areas throughout the year? This is private land with little to no pressure.

I'm trying to put this all together for next year. Where and what are they eating, I don't know yet. Where are the bucks, I also don't know. But it's a start, and promising to see so much activity.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question about beds in snow.

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:33 am

Thats doe bedding... They work as a team, bedding in a circle to each have a view a different direction. Yes, bedding should be consistent in the same areas, but it might be seasonal, and might be year round.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:40 am

Thanks, Dan. I put a camera up in a tree and won't be back till spring. Will be interesting to see the pics.
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:00 am

That sounds like a great area to hunt Pre-Rut downwind of known buck travel route(s). I'd head back there in spring to check it out again, grab your camera, trim shooting lanes and set up a time or two mid-October! Stay out of there once you have prepped the area until you want to hunt it. DO NOT keep checking camera throughout the summer/early fall to see what you have for deer there. Use food sources/field edges for that recon.
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:01 am

That's the plan! I have a few places in mind in addition to where I left a camera. Shouldn't be a problem staying out of there since I only make it up once or twice a season. As the end of 2014 season nears, it's always a little bittersweet. Disappointed to see the season coming to a close but excited about what I've learned this year and hopefully I've got a leg up on 2015.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”