Thinking about WI hunting trip need advice WI beasts!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tcop7
500 Club

Thinking about WI hunting trip need advice WI beasts!

Unread postby tcop7 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:48 pm

Hey guys my friend and I (both from ohio) have both gotten a buck this year and are thinking about traveling over our Christmas break (college students) to do some more hunting and maybe take down another buck. I know that WI is having their gun season right now so how much does that effect the bow hunting on public land afterwards? Do you think it would be more worth it to wait till next year and come before gun season? Also my friend's dad is hunting in Wisconsin right now and I heard he got his tags for $95 since this was his first year hunting there. Is that true? Would that be the same price for someone who would want to bow hunt? And do any fellow beasts live close to any public that would be willing to open their home up to us to stay with if we decided we wanted to do the trip? We would have our own food and everything, we would just need a place to lay our heads at night when we are out of the woods.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Thinking about WI hunting trip need advice WI beasts!

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:03 am

I would wait till next year... 1st off, most of the good areas in Wisconsin will be doe only and there will be a doe gun hunt starting around December 24th... Muzzle loader ends in a week there is only a very short period of bow hunting without guns blazing, and bucks will most likely be pushed off most of the public.

If your goal is to kill, I would wait till early season or rut next year. And yes. 1st year non-residents get there license for about $85.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:26 am

Never heard of a first year discount, that's kind of cool. What's the regular price?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:48 am

Spysar wrote:Never heard of a first year discount, that's kind of cool. What's the regular price?

I think its around $180.
My brother in law hunted with me this year for the 1st time in many years and since he had not bought a hunting license in over 10 years he got resident 1st time price which was $5
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:06 am

If you are looking for any deer the Southern 1/3 of WI will be in a Holiday Hunt = doe only rifle hunt. I think you should be able to find and kill a doe with a rifle... if you are bowhunting I would come over to hunt opening weekend in mid September... that is the best time IMO to kill a good one on WI public land. Not much hunting pressure in Sept

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:05 am

Yea getting a crack at a good buck with a bow will be a huge challenge on WI public land late season. I would be more inclined to head further north to avoid the late doe season and hunt the muzzleloader season. With the snow you can cover a lot of ground scouting for tracks, lots of public land up there and not much hunting pressure late in the year
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:17 am

My dad hunted opening weekend of gun last year. His license was 80$,this year it was 160$. I think it would be tuff to kill a buck on public after gun. But who cares. Give it a try. There is a ton of public in west central WI. I live in a small 2 bedroom apt with 2 kids and a wife, so I got no room, sorry. But there are motels around for 50$ per nite

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:25 pm

If you got the guts and stanima you can go to northenr Wis. and hunt bucks that have not see a hunter all year. Where I was gun hunting, there was almost noone once ya got 1/4 mi. off the trails. Be careful though, it can get cold, snowy and even dangerous if you get lost. Very little reason to even go far off the logging road. Just walk till ya see a decent trail crossing , hunt and hope for the best. Don't let me fool you or hype the hunt up . It will be a very tough northwoods hunt. Some bucks will even be shedding their horns.
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. We decided that we're gonna try to go early next fall! Even had a beast member offer us a place to stay! Pretty excited about it!
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:27 am

That sounds like a better decision. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”