11 y/o looses buck to a coin flip...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

11 y/o looses buck to a coin flip...

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:45 am

Dispute Over 9-Point Buck Settled With Coin Flip
ONEIDA, Wis. — Nov 26, 2014, 11:45 AM ET
Associated Press

A dispute over a nine-point buck in Wisconsin was settled with a coin flip.

Wisconsin's deer season was just a couple hours old on Saturday when D.J. Jorgenson says his 11-year-old son, Kameron, wounded the buck in the town of Oneida.

"Deer hit the ground, and it came back up, and took off running," Jorgenson said.

The father and son then tracked the animal through the woods to a neighbor's property, Jorgenson told WLUK-TV ( http://bit.ly/1uGWtCm ). Before they could get to it, neighbor Randy Heyrman shot the buck twice from his deer stand to finish it off.

With the deer dead and the hunters deadlocked over who could keep it, they flipped a coin.

"So I dug in my pocket. I grabbed out a quarter. (Heryman) did the coin flip. My boy called tails, and it was heads. And (Heryman) said, 'Well, it looks like it's my deer then,'" Jorgenson said.

All Kameron got was a photo.

Hunters need permission to follow a deer onto private property, and the landowner has a right to take the deer, according to Shad Webster of the Oneida Conservation Department.

Even though Heyrman legally had a right to keep the deer, he said the coin flip was a fair way to settle the dispute. But Jorgenson disagrees.

"I wish he would have done the right thing to begin with. All my son wants is his deer that he shot," he said.

Spysar
500 Club

Re: 11 y/o looses buck to a coin flip...

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:48 am

I bet I speak for most of the guys on this site......I'd have shook the kids hand and said congrats, here's your buck!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:52 am

I saw this on the news, and the guy on the private land "said" that the kid shot it in the leg, and pointed out the wound.
He said by the letter of the law he had the right to keep the deer, but decided to do a coin flip to show the kid he was fair. Cause the kid thought his shot was fatal, and the land owner on the private property thought it was his.

The land owner won the flip that was done by the boys father. And then the boys father went to the media to pressure the guy into giving the boy the buck anyway.

For me, I would of given the boy the buck... But, the buck did go onto private land, and I can tell you here, I have never gotten a buck back that ran onto private land. They almost always refuse entry and keep the deer. And, they did agree to the coin flip until they lost...

Still, I would of given the 11 y/o the buck. How about you?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:54 am

I'd of let the kid have the buck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:55 am

Now that this has become national news and they released the guys name, I wonder if he will suddenly have a change of heart.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:02 am

I do think the father is not doing the kid a favor by making a huge deal about it. Not every thing in this world is a grave injustice.

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:17 am

Does it make a difference that the kid shot him in the leg? I'd definitely give the deer to the kid if it was mortally wounded, for example, shot in the guts. I don't believe they were going to recover him if it wasn't for the neighbor (based on the video). He gets a valuable life lesson, and he shouldn't get a trophy for participating, just because he's a kid. A lot worse things will happen in that kid's life. Also, don't go to the news after you lost a coin flip that you agreed to. Don't get me wrong, I'm a nice guy and I like kids! :D
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:19 am

Let the kid have it, it would likely mean way more to him. Its a kid, man up dude and do the right thing.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:22 am

ozzz wrote:Let the kid have it, it would likely mean way more to him. Its a kid, man up dude and do the right thing.

I disagree, that dad isn't teaching his son anything valuable by going to the news and throwing a fit about it.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:28 am

I'd have let the kid have it but I don't think the guy was unfair. I think the kids dad is more in the wrong since had the owner not finished it off they Prolly wouldn't have recovered it anyway

Make It Happen
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:30 am

Haus86 wrote:
ozzz wrote:Let the kid have it, it would likely mean way more to him. Its a kid, man up dude and do the right thing.

I disagree, that dad isn't teaching his son anything valuable by going to the news and throwing a fit about it.

Agreed haus

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:39 am

I don't really have an opinion in this, but wondering at what point do you loose your "claim" to a non mortally hit deer. If the neighbor shoots it hours latter is it right to turn it over, the next day? I wounded a 160 class buck and my neighbor shot it a week later, should I go puck up my head mount?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:41 am

I remember when Rat Slayer shot his 1st buck... We snuck into a buck bedding area and an 8 point satellite buck got up 20 yards from us and just stood there staring. He shot it in the guts and it ran right into a feild surrounded with orange, and guys shooting from every direction. We could hear shooting for about 2 or 3 minutes getting father and farther away... He wanted to go track the buck. I said Jamie, there is no way you will get that buck. There are probably about 20 people arguing about whose it is right now, and there will likely only be a gut pile when we get to the end of the track... I found out later from a guy in town that he shot the buck in the field and was racing others to track it and that other guys knocked it over further down... On public land, you simply need to make sure you knock the buck over or someone else is going to get it...

Me personally? I would of gave it to the kid... But, I also feel the kids Dad should not have gone to the media, and should of explained to the kid how it is.

Rat Slayer got the ultimate Karma that day... Cause shortly after that buck ran off, a bigger 9 point got out of a bed 75 yards away and Rat slayer nailed him.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:42 am

If you agree to flip a coin then you live with the result, not go to the media and ask for a do over.... :naughty:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:45 am

purebowhunting wrote:I don't really have an opinion in this, but wondering at what point do you loose your "claim" to a non mortally hit deer. If the neighbor shoots it hours latter is it right to turn it over, the next day? I wounded a 160 class buck and my neighbor shot it a week later, should I go puck up my head mount?

Sounds like you have an opinion to me ;)

According to the law, the last one to shoot the deer and the 1st one to the deer, gets claim. I shot a really big 6 pointer once at 10 yards standing broadside right behind the shoulder and a guy sprayed lead at it as it stumbled thru a field ran over and quick claimed it... I was P.Oed but not much I could do about it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”