11 y/o looses buck to a coin flip...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: 11 y/o looses buck to a coin flip...

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:48 am

whitetailassasin wrote:I was 14 yrs old and was pushing woods with our crew. Had a 6pt come by me and I took a shot hit it but it kept running till on of our sitters(my cousin) shot it and put it down. Without an argument i gave up my claim to the deer and said it was his. I had never shot a buck ever and wanted it real bad, but I was raised that you have to earn what you shoot and also the value of sportsmanship to other hunters. It caused me to one practice harder, and two it helped me fuel the drive I carry today. The father should have done a better job teaching his kid what was most important. That kid will see how his dad handled the situation and it will stick in his mind and no doubt play into future decisions. The kid lost out twice in my opinion, could have been a good learning and growing experience.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Great post whitetailassasin.

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:56 am

Dewey wrote:
rutnbuck wrote:It's one of many lessons learned in life. I think kids today are given the silver spoon to much and getting trophy just for participating in anything these days. Take the age out of this and it is what it is. Fair or not...we have to quit giving excuses for everything. Learn from it and move on. Our youth are the ones going to suffer in the long run if they aren't held accountable. The hands our held way to long in my opinion. When I was growing up you mentored and learned for a short period and then you had to get it done on your own and learned many valuable traits that I think today's youth is missing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree. Took me 8 years to kill my first deer. I think the long learning process made me appreciate everything much more once sucess started and made me a better hunter In the end.

That's what I was getting at. That kid learned a life lesson more than he knows.

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:01 am

The father is in the most wrong by taking this to media and blowing it up. If it was me I would give the kid the deer. It's just a deer to me. Great memory for him and I would feel good for doing it.

But this situation is a negative lesson to learn because of how the father handled it.
KillYourTV

Unread postby KillYourTV » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:24 am

Haus86 wrote:Does it make a difference that the kid shot him in the leg? I'd definitely give the deer to the kid if it was mortally wounded, for example, shot in the guts. I don't believe they were going to recover him if it wasn't for the neighbor (based on the video). He gets a valuable life lesson, and he shouldn't get a trophy for participating, just because he's a kid. A lot worse things will happen in that kid's life. Also, don't go to the news after you lost a coin flip that you agreed to. Don't get me wrong, I'm a nice guy and I like kids! :D

This.

1. Life isn't fair (even though the property owner was)

2. Make your own luck (shoot better next time)

I still would have given the kid the buck, but I don't judge the property owner for taking it after giving the kid a shot either. Th sour grapes and crying to the media by the kids father is the worst part of this whole thing IMO.
[glow=LIME]Mathews Z7 Magnum
CE Maxima Red w/ Rage eXtreme
[/glow]
[glow=GREEN]Summit Viper XD
XOP Air Raid
XOP Sticks
[/glow]
[glow=LIME]Horton Storm RDX[/glow]
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:38 am

What coin?

:?

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:47 am

I had a car accident with a buck happen by my Moms house years ago... I went out to see what happened and there was a nice buck laying dead in a field 20 yards from the road and a lady with a smashed car on the side of the road. Cops got there and asked the lady if she wanted the deer... She said yes. And then the land owner showed up and said he wanted the deer and the cop said the lady who hit it had 1st rights. He said fine, but she can't trespass onto my property to get the buck.

The cop called a warden... Warden shows up and says, its her deer. You do not have to let her take it, but I ain't giving you a permit for it and if you touch that deer I will fine you for illegal possession. At that point the land owner gave in and said fine she can have it.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Bummer the kid lost his buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Spysar wrote:I bet I speak for most of the guys on this site......I'd have shook the kids hand and said congrats, here's your buck!

What if it was a 200 inch buck in Iowa with a four year wait, $750 tag (pref points incl) for 1 buck? :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Stanley wrote:
Spysar wrote:I bet I speak for most of the guys on this site......I'd have shook the kids hand and said congrats, here's your buck!

What if it was a 200 inch buck in Iowa with a four year wait, $750 tag (pref points incl) for 1 buck? :think:

I've always been taught that the first mortal shot gets it.

It sure would be a game changer if the buck was 200" and it was a non res Iowa tag.... :think:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:13 pm

Spysar wrote:
Stanley wrote:

I've always been taught that the first mortal shot gets it.

It sure would be a game changer if the buck was 200" and it was a non res Iowa tag.... :think:

Funny how two things can always change perspective on everything..........money and antler inches. :lol:

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Rome wrote:As I posted in Dan's thread about the wounded buck, just yesterday I shot one that an 11 year old had hit. Where did the 11 yr old hit it? I don't know. I didn't hit it first and was just doing a mercy killing, so I didn't even go up to the deer. By doing the right thing and putting it out of it's misery, and for immediately saying they could have the deer, I got permission to archery hunt his land (they only gun hunt) as the father of the boy respected how I handled the entire situation. I view it like this - it's getting harder every year to recruit and keep young hunters, and if my situation helped fuel the fire for this kid, then I feel even better about it. The father indicated that his kids have interest in bow hunting, but he doesn't have the time or knowledge, so they just never got into it. I am going to offer the father that I'll help the kids out, they can sit in stands I'll put on the land, etc... I have a lot of private land (and tons of public) to hunt, and one more private parcel isn't going to make or break my season, but if I can get two youngsters into archery hunting, I'd walk away feeling even better about the deal.

In the situation in the article, I personally would have given the deer to the kid for the reason listed above regarding keeping young hunters enthused of the sport.

I like your style Rome
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:47 pm

The whole coin flip thing is just bogus. Fair is fair and a coin flip is definitely not fair. Thumb war is where it's at.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:50 pm

CountryJoe wrote:The whole coin flip thing is just bogus. Fair is fair and a coin flip is definitely not fair. Thumb war is where it's at.

:lol:

vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Shot my 1st buck when I was 21. Ran onto neighbors property. Got landowners wife's permission to retrieve my buck. Drug it back to my property and field dressed it there. Got back to the house and the landowner met me there at the foot step . He told me if I ever stepped foot on his property again he kill me. And all over a fork. Didn't dit real well with me , my wife who was with me or my father who knew the guy. He went to high school with him. Needless to say, things didn't go well when the landowner and his property shot a buck and my uncles house a few days later on our property.
In my opinion rules are rules but the landowner could've given the kid the buck as a sign of being decent. The dad is a tool box and gives hunters and parents a bad name. Shouldn't be allowed to hunt or father any more kids.
This is part of the reason I quit gun hunting. When I was a kid hunters worked together driving woods and things like that. It's different now. Wisconsin and I'm guessing other states seem divided. It stinks. Wish people would wake up and quit being jealous of what others have and work together.
Sorry for the rant. Just my opinion.

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:14 pm

when I was around 15 I shot a buck big heavy 8 point 18 1/2 wide. I shot I dropped it hit it in shoulder as it was moving briskly. As it struggled to get up I it shot right in the boiler and struggle was over. I remember being told to not get down from the stand till dad came and I knew he wasn't coming for hours. I was down over their victory dancing by that thing so quick. A few hours later my dad comes as we start to prepare to gut it we see orange coming. My dad's uncle following some blood and tracks in the snow, mid 70's at the time, said he shot a buck hit it back alittle so he gave it some time. I lost my buck right their was a shot mid body maybe liver/guts. My dad said he doesn't have many years of hunting left theirs no argument for this. Next year I asked if i could see rack and was going to ask if I could have it to remember the hunt they normally lay in his barn anyway. He said the guy cutting up deer was up to 40 bucks but said he would give it to him for free if he let him keep rack. My dad's uncle didn't care about rack it was gone, only a memory for me. I almost felt like it drove me more. I remember it as my first big buck opportunity and a great story to tell.

i think in this case the father is in the wrong the most for sure by keep carrying on with it. Talk about the good parts of the hunt, the almost, what if's... Its a great story no matter what, buck on wall or not. I just dont feel making it easy is good for recruitment either. Its the challenge that makes the hunt. In the end I probably give the buck to kid because of what already is on my walls just a quick picture shaking his hand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”