11 y/o looses buck to a coin flip...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: 11 y/o looses buck to a coin flip...

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:43 am

dan wrote:
Spysar wrote:
dan wrote:I saw this on the news, and the guy on the private land "said" that the kid shot it in the leg, and pointed out the wound.
He said by the letter of the law he had the right to keep the deer, but decided to do a coin flip to show the kid he was fair. Cause the kid thought his shot was fatal, and the land owner on the private property thought it was his.

The land owner won the flip that was done by the boys father. And then the boys father went to the media to pressure the guy into giving the boy the buck anyway.

For me, I would of given the boy the buck... But, the buck did go onto private land, and I can tell you here, I have never gotten a buck back that ran onto private land. They almost always refuse entry and keep the deer. And, they did agree to the coin flip until they lost...

Still, I would of given the 11 y/o the buck. How about you?

Every one is responding to the leg hit as though it was a flesh wound in the leg. The kids hit could have been fatal for all we know. Or could have weakened the deer to the point where they would have got a follow up shot had the deer not went onto private. Dan, did you see it on the news? And did you see where the guy pointed to the leg hit.? And if you did see where the hit was, do you think the deer would have survived the hit the kid made?

The leg hit the land owner claimed was the kids hit looked to be centered in the upper part of the front leg about even height wise with the lowest part of the chest... It was a big hole. Maybe a shotgun? I recovered two bucks with bow hits in that leg lower than that, but only cause I pushed them till they bled out. Hard to say if it was fatal or not. I would say 50% chance. if the leg was broke, tracking should of given another shot. They did not show the exit side, which if the deer was at all close to broadside, should of hit the far leg somewhere too.

Didn't know you could bleed one out on a front leg hit. Interesting to know.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:35 pm

With a slug or rifle hit the odds of catching back up to a deer hit in the upper leg is good.

No question in my mind the deer should have went to the kid and maybe an arrangement made to split the meat.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Sad story...

The guy should have given the kid the buck

The kids expression would have been priceless, which any hunter would get great satisfaction from seeing...
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:22 am

What is the world coming to?
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 am

Let me have a pic with the kid and the buck, you tag it, I keep hunting.

Win-Win.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:58 pm

When I was a teenager I shot a buck with my rifle and the bullet went through the brisket and shattered the far leg. About an hour later we decided to track him. We went about 150 yards and found three beds in about a ten yard area with plenty of blood in them. Lots of blood on the way there too. Long story short, that buck went seven miles as the crow flies in knee deep snow. Then it crossed the corner of a bar parking lot onto some private property. The land owner was in the bar and seen the buck out the window. By that time the buck was staggering in a twelve foot wide path. The buck collapsed on the guys land and the guy walked up to it, finished it off and claimed it as his even though it obviously wasn't getting away from us. The guy could care less and was all excited to get the head mounted (nice 3.5 eight point). I thought that was pretty crappy for him to do that considering the circumstances, but the bottom line is if I had made an ethical shot in the first place I would have that buck on my wall right now. I should have waited for him to take another step and he would have been mine. If I had, I also would have spared that buck a very painful and fear filled death.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”