Do things look early to anybody else

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Do things look early to anybody else

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:34 pm

I was seeing early acorn drop and some early leaf turning colors.

I now have seen early harvesting - others have talked about that. Have also seen a early goose migration and other birds as well.

I took a youth hunting this weekend and after that took a turkey stomp in the rain yesterday. Today, I saw a tresspasser slip in across the tracks and had to dive into my hunting spot again from a casual drive by.

Anyway, I have never seen more rubs in September, even some scrapes. I have been hunting this one particular property for 11 seasons and have never seen more signs of everything being early.

Anyone else seeing signs of things looking a little early this year?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
solocam88
500 Club

Re: Do things look early to anybody else

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 pm

I too have seen a lot of rubs and a lot of scrapes. The farmers are going crazy harvesting crops and the ducks and geese are piling into the fields. There have also been a lot of deer shot lately in my area and some big bucks. The weather has also been awesome!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:07 pm

I too have been seeing a lot of scrapes,

My cousin was in northern wisconsin last week and he saw a 3.5 year old chasing a doe
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:57 pm

I heard of a buck seen chasing a doe with his nose at her but today.......

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Same here lots of rubs ans scrapes 2 crops coming off way early.Usually around here farmers don,t dream of harvesting until a Killing Frost.But crops are so far along that they have matured on their own .Beans are all browned out,and corn is not too far away.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:19 pm

It seems like every time I go out I find more scrapes and found very fresh ones on opening day even. One was about six feet across! :shock: :shock:
Also seeing alot of very agressive tree shredding rubs that I normally do not see until late October, just before the rut, when the bucks are getting really cranked up.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:18 pm

I really think the weather in west central WI has been great this year for early season hunting!! I have also seen and heard of all the activity mentioned above. Whatever the case may be I LOVE it!!
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:21 am

I am definitely noticing things happening early in Ohio. Acorns have been everywhere for what seems like weeks now. When scouting the other day I already saw a full rubline heading from a beading area to a staging area, with several rubs around the general area the buck is bedding in. Also, the corn is already dried up and tan. Farmers are taking it down which hasn't seemed to happen until November in past years.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:45 am

Acorns and leaves were early here, I haven't seen as much rubbing or scraping as others.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:38 am

Funny Lou, I said to my buddy this past weekend, "Doesn't it seem like the leaves are ahead of schedule?" So, I guess my answer is yes, Like others have said. Everything appears to be ahead of normal.
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:05 am

A couple of the big "breeding" scrapes are open where I hunt, and usually it's mid oct before they open up real big, so that appears to be early for my area.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:19 am

Getting out for the first time this weekend. I will let you know then, but from what I can see from road scouting (which isnt much, I'd say things seem fairly normal for SE MN...of course the rain is a little above average this year. OK, way above average.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
BloodyArrowBro

Unread postby BloodyArrowBro » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Early, why sure.. it's 1:30am! I have to be in my tree stand in 5 hours
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:54 am

Well made it out for the first time 0n 10-1 and had a ton of leaves off the trees already and at last light also had a 2.5 y/o chasing does around a picked bean field like it was the 1st week of NOV. Fun to watch. We had a ton of corn up last year all the way into JAN and beyond, which made hunting a little tougher, this year some is already coming out and things do seem ahead of schedule. I think its going to be a slammer of a year for good bucks!! :D

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”