What would you have done? (VIDEO ADDED)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JohnnieU

Re: What would you have done?

Unread postby JohnnieU » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:12 am

Dewey wrote:You did the right thing and exactly what I would have done in the same situation. A suffering animal needs to be put down. I respect you for doing the right thing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Agree, I couldn't say it better

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:27 am

In today's society it's all about killing the big buck and [glow=red]I[/glow]want mine. I find it very selfless that anyone would not put an animal out of its misery or just let it go to the Yotes. I have no respect for those slob hunters and hope most others agree on this. I like to kill big bucks just as much as the next guy. That said I feel I hold a deep responsibly for the animals that provide food, entertainment, and revenue for some as a valued resource.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:41 am

dan wrote:When I was a kid, you used to have to apply for antler-less tags. I did not receive one, and went on a hunt with my brothers in Black river falls on public land. A doe came running out that had its lower jaw shot almost completely off just hanging by skin. I had no tag for that doe. I did not shoot and watched it go into a thick area and not come out... A hunter came by a short time later and I asked him if he had a doe tag, he said yes and I told him about the doe and pointed to where it was hiding.
The guy said " I want to shoot my own deer, not someone elses left overs" That still bothers me today...

I was not looking for anybody to say "great job" just wanting people to think about there decisions... I really thought we would have more people who would of said they would of let the deer go and hoped he made it... We got a pretty good group here! When I get a chance I will post a video of that hunt.

A few years ago I was trail riding on the sled at night when I came across some blood and snowmobile tracks. I started to look around and put together some jerk chased down a deer with the snowmobile. I got off and started looking around and found a small doe fawn with its legs broken just laying their in some grass. I new I had to put it out of its misery so I went back home and got a knife and cut it's throat. That was the hardest thing I ever had to do and will never forget i. I can't believe some people

Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:58 am

Dead deer if it had walked by me.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:16 am

I'd have done the same. I'd have done that even with no tag left I think.

But we'll done that's annoying they do that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
Tapeworm

Unread postby Tapeworm » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:26 am

Would've done the same. Have also done this several times myself. To me it's the proper ethical & respectful decision to put an end to the animals misery.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:31 am

This year I had a doe come by me that had an arrow wound a bit far back. It was all hunched up. I was 100% going to use one of my tags I was holding for a buck( in mi combo tag in archery can be used on a doe). But it never presented me an oppurunity. I know bad shots happen and it's a part of hunting. But I instantly felt bad and it was a no brained to extinguish this deer. I love the whitetail species and cherish my rights to be able to pusue them. I will never sacrifice ethics. It's what makes us sportsman, and good people.

Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:39 am

Whitetailassasin you are the man! Swampbuck you to. Tag or not its going down.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:43 am

I don't know. I may have shot it if I knew that I could have taken it to the neighbours. Pretty sure I wouldn't sacrifice my one and only tag on someone else's bad shot. Tough call to make considering we don't want to see any animal suffer like that. You don't want it to go to waste either.

What you did is very noble, especially considering how much you hunt and how likely you are to see wounded animals over the course of a season. And even more so when you consider the value of that tag on another big buck from a business standpoint.
trophyhusband

Unread postby trophyhusband » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:34 am

I had to do that 1 year, with hunter who wounded it in view, he wouldn't tag it after I finished it bc he though it was a doe and didn't wanna waste his 1 buck tag that we get for the entire year very weapon, apparently he thought I did. I was pissed to say the least.

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:00 pm

I finished off a wounded doe today not far from where Dan shot this buck. I was driving home after sitting and saw her stumbling across a field, falling over at times. Stopped at house, told the lady that answered door there was a wounded deer behind her house and I'd like to end it's misery. She told me where her sons and husband were hunting, she thought she heard them shoot a little bit before, and that I'd be safe shooting the deer. I quickly got my rifle and dropped her. The lady then told me I could drive into the field to get it, I told her I didn't need it if they wanted to keep it. Her husband called her then to ask if someone shot from the road (my shot). She explained to him what happened, then informed me that it was her 11 yr olds first deer. She asked for my name and phone number per her husband's request. He called me a bit later thanking me, and then gave me an offer to have exclusive rights to bow hunt his land rest of this year and next year. Karma works sometimes.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:08 pm

Nice.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:04 pm

THats why I like this site. You guys have your heads on straight for sure. I would have shot it. Tag or no tag. Choosing to shoot the deer in misery is the humane and ethical thing to do. What you choose to do after the shot is between you and the law. I can handle a ticket or whatever they want to hand me knowing that I did the right thing for the animal, due to someones sloppy hunting. Im not saying break the law, but its your choice. Ive shot wounded deer before and tagged them.
A buddy and I found a 6 point in July on the road. Broken back and front legs. Dispatch made us wait 45 mins of watching the deer suffer, and when he arrived said "well if I shoot it I gotta clean my gun". I grabbed a HD tire iron fromhis truck after they left and had to take care of it. It was fast but not cool. Not cool at all. If you'd seen the scenario, you'd have done it too. I saved you guys the detail of the animals suffering prior...I felt and still feel it was whats right.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:16 pm

I would put the animal down too. I would try and see if the neighbors wanted it first before tagging it but either way the deer needs to be put out of its misery. As cold as it is, any wounded animal will have a hard go of it and a bullet beats the heck out of a pack of coyotes. I love gun hunting but I also hate gun hunting because its just too easy for the average joe to go out and fling lead and not follow up. To me anytime a shot is fired you have several hours of checking around to do whether there is blood or hair or not.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Great replies. I hope that my initial comment ending with coyotes didn't over shadow the beginning saying I'd shoot. Heading out in a bit to a property where i found fresh blood trail 2 days ago in snow. Not sure what's gimped but assume a doe or fawn. Going to set that bedding area this morning and see what's up.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”