Anybody shot a slob on Thanksgiving?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Anybody shot a slob on Thanksgiving?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:47 am

I'm hoping to knock one down tomorrow, just wondering how many have been successful with shooting a good buck on Thanksgiving day....

I just have a good feeling about tomorrow!

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Anybody shot a slob on Thanksgiving?

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 am

No but my brother shot a good buck last thanksgiving. Morning bow hunt. He set up on a point bucks liked to bed on near a alfalfa new seeding field that we knew deer were really hitting.

We thought we would get it drug out without anyone seeing (public land) but wouldn't you know someone drove into the parking lot at noon - on turkey day! What are the odds lol.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:23 am

With the exception of a few pushes, I've yet to see a naturally-acting mature buck in WI on Thanksgiving.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:01 am

Maybe a 130" eight but no slob. Back in 2011, I missed a gross booner the day before. That was a memorable day as I'll never forget that hunt :shock:
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:01 am

I think Stanley once mentioned Thanksgiving is usually a good day to kill a mature buck in the upper midwest.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I think Stanley once mentioned Thanksgiving is usually a good day to kill a mature buck in the upper midwest.

They are out there. No doubt. Usually around here the last few does are in heat and the big bucks are still out looking for that last one or two does. It's not as good as early november but I've seen more larger bucks moving around at this time versus early november.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 am

If I still had my Kansas tag (they havent had gun pressure yet), you can guarantee I'd be bowhunting like crazy right about now ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 am

I have taken my biggest buck on thanksgiving day, as a matter of fact, I think my top 2...
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:15 am

dan wrote:I have taken my biggest buck on thanksgiving day, as a matter of fact, I think my top 2...

Wasn't that the one you shot in his bed?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:17 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
dan wrote:I have taken my biggest buck on thanksgiving day, as a matter of fact, I think my top 2...

Wasn't that the one you shot in his bed?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Yes.
MACHINIST

Unread postby MACHINIST » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:15 pm

Thats one of my favorites from your vids,like when you were breaking the ice and moving it out of the way(I am going by memory here and my memory is total garbage!!LOL) then popping up and he was 15 or so yards away!! i think my heart was racing when the story was told,I cant imaging being in your shoes!!! You must have been on cloud 9!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:42 pm

I have killed a couple of good bucks on Thanksgiving day. Might even be 3 or 4 Would have to look back in my records. Love hunting turkey day.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:06 pm

I haven't killed any on Thanksgiving, but last year the 27th must have been the best day to be in the woods where I hunt. On the 27th last year, I had 3 different bucks 150"+ on trail camera during the day. I think I counted 12 different bucks on one camera that day! Hopefully that gets you excited for tomorrow!
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:16 pm

I usually get roped into goose hunting thanksgiving morning. Tradition I guess, but I'm always sitting there wishing I was deer hunting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:19 pm

Only slightly off topic - the biggest buck I ever shot I got on Christmas a few years ago. He was definitely a slob.

I think there is something to be said for being out there when no one else is (major holiday) but its up to each person to figure out where the trade off between family and hunting is.

Haus86 wrote:I haven't killed any on Thanksgiving, but last year the 27th must have been the best day to be in the woods where I hunt. On the 27th last year, I had 3 different bucks 150"+ on trail camera during the day. I think I counted 12 different bucks on one camera that day! Hopefully that gets you excited for tomorrow!

I had one trail cam go nuts Nov 25-28th last year too. Goes to show you if you can find that last hot doe you might have every slob within miles there too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”