Multi-Tier Ridges

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Multi-Tier Ridges

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:48 am

cbigbear had brought up an observation of multi-tiered ridges looking at one of my maps. I remember noticing this last year and had wondered about it but just forgot to look into it. When you come across a ridge like this, do bucks tend to bed up on the highest points? Or does it depend on the steepness of the point, available cover, hunting pressure etc.?

Here's a map that shows what I mean.

The blue dots show some higher points. Some of these points I marked are close to the access roads, which I would think they wouldn't bed close to, but I'm not sure. I know the far west point had a decent sized bed on it. I marked a few sample places with purple dots just to show in relation to the higher points.

cdeam

Re: Multi-Tier Ridges

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:30 pm

This is a good question. I've seen this on maps, but have yet to put boots on the ground in these areas to see. I'm also very curious about how the mixing zones in these spots

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:24 am

I believe your purple dots are spot on. They should be laying right there where it gets steep.

Look at your blue dots in comparison, not steep at all.

Edit: I take that back on second glance, a couple of the blue dots are near some steep sections, but you see what I mean...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:38 am

PalmettoKid wrote:I believe your purple dots are spot on. They should be laying right there where it gets steep.

Look at your blue dots in comparison, not steep at all.

Edit: I take that back on second glance, a couple of the blue dots are near some steep sections, but you see what I mean...

Thanks Palmetto....I wouldn't pick the blue dots on this map but instead the purple ones like you mentioned. I should have clarified it or found a better example really. I wish I could find the map I originally noticed this on a few years ago. There was a steeper ridge up high and then some steep points lower.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:44 am

I modified the topo by faking the contour lines on this portion. Say you had two points like this (the northern most points)...one up high and one lower. I would guess it would depend on available cover, pressure etc. But saying all things being equal, would they pick the highest spot due to thermals and vantage point?

Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Interested in this as well

Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:22 pm

I would assume that they would prefer the upper point over the lower for reasons you already stated if everything was equal

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:49 pm

checkerfred wrote:I modified the topo by faking the contour lines on this portion. Say you had two points like this (the northern most points)...one up high and one lower. I would guess it would depend on available cover, pressure etc. But saying all things being equal, would they pick the highest spot due to thermals and vantage point?

Its going to depend mainly on windflow and thermals... They could be at either one.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:53 am

I hunt very similar terrain to your map. I find in my area the bucks will bed lower on overcast or windy days on the leeward side. Days with calmer winds and thermal action I see them higher, usually right off the top or at the base of a knob and again mostly on the leeward side.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:05 pm

Zona wrote:I hunt very similar terrain to your map. I find in my area the bucks will bed lower on overcast or windy days on the leeward side. Days with calmer winds and thermal action I see them higher, usually right off the top or at the base of a knob and again mostly on the leeward side.

Thanks Zone, that makes sense!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”