How About A Mentor???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

n.sampey

How About A Mentor???

Unread postby n.sampey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:50 am

Ok guys I have followed this sight for a few months now and have to say it has been an awesome experience so far. I purchased both of the DVD's and and it has made a big impact how I hunt so far. There is still things I haven't really gotten a grasp of yet and that is where this thread comes into play. Everyone has a way of learning, and mine is kind of like a 1 on 1 type. When I read over alot of threads it gets confusing as to what people are talking about when they say certain words and phrases and then other folks chime in and it gets even more confusing as to know exactly what goes along with the post.. So just wanted to see if anyone with a decent amount of experience with the beast style would mind being a mentor/teacher/friend along this road. Someone who don't mind if I text pictures and ask countless questions about different topics/problems that I go through throughout my first beast season. Might sound a little weird but it would help me alot and I know alot of folks don't have time for this but if anyone is interested just let me know and I appreciate it alot. Good Luck to everyone out and stay safe

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
Rome

Re: How About A Mentor???

Unread postby Rome » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:01 am

Assuming Dan does a scouting workshop in spring, sounds like what you need. I haven't attended one, but will be this spring if he does.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
n.sampey

Unread postby n.sampey » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 am

Yeah that would be good to but I live all the way down in Louisiana.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
IF YOU EVER HAVE A DAY IN THE WOODS WHERE YOU DONT LEARN SOMETHING, THEN YOU DIDNT PAY CLOSE ENOUGH ATTENTION
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 am

I'm in the south too... I would love a Hills workshop. If it's something he would consider doing, maybe we could get enough interest to have him come down and offer one?

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:14 am

PM inbound.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
KillYourTV

Unread postby KillYourTV » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:15 am

Zap wrote:PM inbound.

If I only knew it would be that easy! :)
[glow=LIME]Mathews Z7 Magnum
CE Maxima Red w/ Rage eXtreme
[/glow]
[glow=GREEN]Summit Viper XD
XOP Air Raid
XOP Sticks
[/glow]
[glow=LIME]Horton Storm RDX[/glow]
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Man would I love a mentor but there are none around me that I know of.

Dan's workshop is out of the question.

Videos showed me things but I wish a New England version would be made but I know that is not happening.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 pm

exojam wrote:Man would I love a mentor but there are none around me that I know of.

Dan's workshop is out of the question.

Videos showed me things but I wish a New England version would be made but I know that is not happening.

Same here... I'm from Alabama and most guys here are from the north. It would be cool to have a meet up with the southern guys here.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Damn Yankees..... :P

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Kind of a cool idea. Maybe it will help ya out.

Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:38 am

Videos showed me things but I wish a New England version would be made but I know that is not happening.[/quote] I ordered the videos a few days ago and they have not arrived yet. Can you explain a little more of why you wished there was a NE version. Is it because we don't have any crp fields? I'm from south east CT. Over the years from what I've read I think the biggest difference of hunting new england compared to the west is that in new england there isn't one main food source in a certain location.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Dutch,

Well, up front let me say I am not a very experienced hunter so maybe take what I say with a grain of salt. Who knows, maybe one of the more experienced guys will come in and correct me but anyway.

Yes, not really any crop fields that I am aware of near where I live. The two fields I know of are one apple orchard and one that has corn. Neither are more than a few acres at most. Mainly the deer in my area are living off of acorns, stuff in the forest of getting into people’s yards. So say I have an area of 600 acres to go looking at with a deer population of about 10 deer per square mile and they are eating acorns, where in the heck do you start?

Second, what is New England known for in the fall? Falling leafs. By the time you get out in the field trying to find tracks, it is dang near impossible for me do to the leaf fall. You have inches of leafs on the ground and are always blowing around no matter is the wind is at 1 MPH. How do you find tracks under these conditions?

Now don’t get me wrong, you may get the videos (which do have great info in them and will make you scratch your head and say “oh boy”) and be able to transfer it over more quickly than I. I have some physical issues that you probably do not which will enable you to proceed quicker.

Also, there are some decent deer in these states as I participate in a local hunting forum and guys do knock them down. So they can be found, not the size of the Wisconsin deer but there are some nice NE deer around if you can find them (I say Wisconsin since a lot of the guys on this board are from there).

I just need to try and find an experienced hunter from NE and have them show me some things to get going as I am not after “a” deer like most on this forum as I am just not that good, I just want to put myself closer to deer in general for now.

Sorry for being so long winded but that was the reason for me comment.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:04 pm

Sounds like you're still focused on food, everything needs to relate to bedding. Once your mind switches to focusing on bedding it starts to make sense and begins to click.

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Guys seem to over think all of this. The situations and topics discussed in Dan's videos can be applied to any location. It is not necessarily about doing exactly the same things in the videos but more about applying the techniques to your own situation.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:40 pm

I know folks worry about posting maps, but good advice can be had that way. Another option is to outline the area and then give the coordinates so that it can be looked at in better detail. Sometimes it's hard to go off a single image or just a topo, etc.
Maybe that is where a "mentor" could help so that the information can be kept between certain people. It's a good idea.
Keep in mind that Dan does offer this as a service.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”