A burning question.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

A burning question.

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:29 am

This season an area I've been trying to learn has me wondering a few things. It's a flooded out section with some woods but the inside is all high grass scattered cattails and small clusters of thickets. A river goes between the center and it has small fingers of streams and creeks. I've found numerous buck beds and often see them in this area. But I haven't seen one rub or scrape in this area. But I've seen multiple mature deer here and even harvested the one I shot this year there. I stalked thru doing some scouting and gun hunting. I did see some tracks, and a small buck and a few does. But all the beds I checked were empty and also showed no signs of being used recently with the snow fall. It's almost as if they moved out. I've only hunted this place 3 times this year and scent is minimum with all the water here. I know they are still there. Nov 16 I saw 6 bucks here. 2 bucks were 3.5 year olds and 1 was a 4.5+. Why is the lack of sign rubs mainly not here? I can understand scrapes because of the water. But not rubs. Also I am wondering why they are using it one day and then not the next. I can sneak in to 4 different beds and see if they are in them without bumping them when conditions are right. And all 4 where empty. I don't want to push the envelope here but I know the size of these bucks using them and they are way above michigan sized bucks. Catch 22 I feel I'm in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”