Bowhunting only areas during gun season.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jphunter
500 Club

Bowhunting only areas during gun season.

Unread postby Jphunter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:32 am

There are some public areas around me that are bowhunting only, even during gun season. Normally I would pick up my gun and hunt areas that were open for gun hunting. I am thinking about bow hunting these bow hunting areas during this gun season. In one way I feel like I'm missing out by not having a gun in my hand, but I also think it could be really good with gun hunting going on around it. Does any anyone else do this?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

whitetailassasin

Re: Bowhunting only areas during gun season.

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:45 am

I've never heard of this, but I do believe it could prove to be a good idea. Depends on how much pressure the archery side gets. And vice versa.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:20 am

Jphunter wrote:There are some public areas around me that are bowhunting only, even during gun season. Normally I would pick up my gun and hunt areas that were open for gun hunting. I am thinking about bow hunting these bow hunting areas during this gun season. In one way I feel like I'm missing out by not having a gun in my hand, but I also think it could be really good with gun hunting going on around it. Does any anyone else do this?

Don't expect any great shakes hunting them. I have hunted them for years in Connecticut. Every year I see hunters in there with a high powered rifle or shotgun. They don't bother with the orange either.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:08 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Jphunter wrote:There are some public areas around me that are bowhunting only, even during gun season. Normally I would pick up my gun and hunt areas that were open for gun hunting. I am thinking about bow hunting these bow hunting areas during this gun season. In one way I feel like I'm missing out by not having a gun in my hand, but I also think it could be really good with gun hunting going on around it. Does any anyone else do this?

Don't expect any great shakes hunting them. I have hunted them for years in Connecticut. Every year I see hunters in there with a high powered rifle or shotgun. They don't bother with the orange either.

Bob

This ^ is why there is still a blaze orange requirement to hunt those parcels in WI....The law says it must be worn "in areas of the state with a gun deer season". You wouldn't - for example - have to wear blaze in WI's northern forest during the antlerless hunt. You WOULD have to wear it in archery-only public parcels in Waukesha county WI.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:12 am

Shame to have to compete with that

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Yeah I'm not sure what kind of pressure these areas around here get during gun season. It's a two hour drive to most of these areas so I can't really just drive by periodically to monitor. I guess I'll just have to give it try.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:41 pm

seeds wrote: This ^ is why there is still a blaze orange requirement to hunt those parcels in WI....The law says it must be worn "in areas of the state with a gun deer season". You wouldn't - for example - have to wear blaze in WI's northern forest during the antlerless hunt. You WOULD have to wear it in archery-only public parcels in Waukesha county WI.

Blaze orange is required; they just don't wear it. It makes it harder to hide when they are poaching. I have seen it at least once every year for the last 6 or 7 years now.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:41 am

I will call the warden if I see it in our area. There is a heavy game warden presence in my area.

rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:37 pm

I was excited to try this a couple years ago, as I was sick of the unsafe, and general insanity of gun season. Then I started hunting a couple of these areas. In 1 I witnessed someone hunting with a shotgun and listened to stories of locals (1 first hand, another from a DEC officer) who gun hunted them. Also found spent shotgun shells at another. I don't assume anything anymore, no matter what the law/regulations say. I will definitely wear orange if I hunt them again.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:44 pm

There are some bowhunting only areas around me but they get just as much pressure as every where else if not more.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:24 pm

On paper this idea is worthwhile but I haven't done it yet. Maybe the local game warden could be contacted for a few questions? Each area/state would be unique as far as pressure and poaching I guess.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 am

Oddly enough I did just this for the first time this year. I took last week off work and split the week rifle & bowhunting. I was bowhunting an archery only piece of public land, and didn't see any increase in action....actually the whole week was kind of a bust for me, as I only saw 6 deer total between both rifle & bow hunting. In MO you're not required to wear orange when on you're on an archery only place.

I did notice that I was mostly alone out there during the week. I only saw 2 other vehicles over the 3 times I went out there. I figure between it being gun season and on weekdays not many were getting out to bow hunt.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:54 am

There's a bow hunt only area in the local state forest I hunt but it gets pounded by bow hunters (3-4 trucks in each parking lot) during the archery season. The area is also open to gun during the firearm season and also gets hit hard as well. There's a big group of guys that drive the whole area every year. Not to say you won't see deer but there's definitely human scent all over the place come gun season and to top it off there's plenty of hikers, horse riders, bikers, etc. that use the trails within the area. I've learned to stay out of it come gun season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”