prepping trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: prepping trees

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:08 am

If you use the sticks for a season or two, you will get used to carrying them around on your stand. I am up a tree quietly in 10 minutes. The tree steps are dangerous, and they commit you to one tree. In a lot of my mobile set ups there are several trees I might use based on the exact wind that day, or the way the sign lays out. If you have a spot that has one tree, that you know is "the"tree, then put a stand there permanently... But either go mobile, or go pre-set is my opinion.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:17 am

For me, prepping the tree means finding one where you want it in the size\shape you want. After that my time is spent visually inspecting possible shooting lanes, removing dead limbs, piling limbs where I don't want deer and creating an easy path where they will take their last breath.
I have been respectful of the woods and the regulations so my spots could not be noticed or mistaken for ATV paths. A branch might be broken or a small dead limb cut but very few. I do watch for invasive species and feel those have no protection and then give myself any opportunities I need. An oak sapling will never be touched but a whole honeysuckle bush might get whacked.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:05 am

Yes, I prep trees with steps where legal. Make sure the landowner is OK with it too, they are his trees.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:42 am

dan wrote:If you use the sticks for a season or two, you will get used to carrying them around on your stand. I am up a tree quietly in 10 minutes. The tree steps are dangerous, and they commit you to one tree. In a lot of my mobile set ups there are several trees I might use based on the exact wind that day, or the way the sign lays out. If you have a spot that has one tree, that you know is "the"tree, then put a stand there permanently... But either go mobile, or go pre-set is my opinion.

I always take my sticks with me "just in case". It's better to have them and not need them then the other way around.... In my opinion anyways.
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:16 am

briar wrote:For the price, of you want to hunt this way a safer alternative is to eitiher #1 buy stick ladders and leave them or buy cheap portable sticks use LW sticks for the bottom 2 then set two cheapos and leave them...that way you only have to carry 2 LW sticks, and the stand, not that bad.

This...
Decent steps are $2.50/ each and it takes about 15 to get to 20ft. A set of cheap steel sticks is roughly $40 at the end of the season.

However, I also agree the more you use the LW sticks the less you'll use anything else unless your feeling really lazy and don't feel like dragging out a deer that day. ;)
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:56 am

I have a couple 20' sticks set up with lanes trimmed and a lifeline and tow rope set up.

If I hunt all day, pre-dawn I can go to the pre set stick and set my LW and hunt. Mid-day I get down, grab my sticks and hike to where I am going to set (and set up the sticks and stand). Then take all down in the dark.

I have not set up the LW sticks pre-dawn yet. The ladder sticks allow for AM hunting and also if I am running late or short on sign.

Maybe next season I will rely less on sticks pre-dawn, but they are working for me now.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:04 am

I like doing this on private property. Very convenient and quiet

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:09 am

I used to use screw in steps ALOT. I still have a lot of them and use them for platforms because I hunt from saddle.
Unless you buy EZY/Cranfords they are a PITA even with a stick wrench in any hardwood.
On private I have a few ladder sticks I buy on clearance in winter and are left at last tree in area. Particularly my late season traditional hang on stands because Im usually carrying a heater body suit with me as well.
I am getting better and better and happier with the lone wolf sticks on public and private though. My first set was a china set and I thought they were okay but could be so much better. Then I picked up a USA set that fit together tight with similar length straps and most complaints resolved.

I will be the first to admit after canoeing in or waders, it's nice to get to tree and just slink up without another 10 minutes of trying to be quiet installing sticks
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 am

I am a Prepper.... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:44 am

I hunt state land exclusively and michigan doesn't allow for screw ins or any that go into the tree. What I have been doing is buying new cheap tree stands and prepping sites and locking stands in and only having to take lone wolf sticks. I hang them in summer also trim lanes and entrance routes where needed and leave bow hanger. Then just take my sticks. I usually have 3-4 over buck beds. Once I'm done for season I remove them. I use mobile set up the rest of the time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”