Rut is at peak.... where to hunt now with the cold snow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

boostedprozac

Rut is at peak.... where to hunt now with the cold snow?

Unread postby boostedprozac » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Ok, We had a week of nice single digits and snow. Rut has peaked and probably tapering off now. The bigger bucks are probably paired up now but this cold has seem to put them in a food survival mode. Where do you guys suggest sitting now? Look for standing corn already or stay by bedding... or both?

2016 Elite E32 | Lonewolf | Beast Sticks | Sitka
johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Rut is at peak.... where to hunt now with the cold snow?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:15 pm

boostedprozac wrote:Ok, We had a week of nice single digits and snow. Rut has peaked and probably tapering off now. The bigger bucks are probably paired up now but this cold has seem to put them in a food survival mode. Where do you guys suggest sitting now? Look for standing corn already or stay by bedding... or both?

Im seeing lots of deer moving before dark, and smaller bucks pestering does on my foodplots. No shooters though, they are staying in the thick. It been VERY windy here in SE MI, so sitting the blind for a few days is nice, maybe not productive but nice.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:55 pm

I am not sure. We have never experienced this cold of weather in November during the rut. Our 134 year old cold record was crushed today. I still like bed to food for the cold. The does will eventually drag a buck through.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:33 pm

This past Sunday I was sitting on a saddle the connected a doe bedding thicket to a food plot on top of the hill right at dark I had a nice 3.5 year old 8 come out of the thicket and slowly work his way to the hill top I believe he was scent checking for does

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:26 am

Well it happened here yesterday...non likely food plot, very open. I was packing up early and a 9pt was standing down there eating. I didnt even know until I checked the cam today...The real big boy didnt show up til and hour later.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”