Big woods wind currents question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Big woods wind currents question

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:10 pm

The last couple years I've been taking the drive an hour and a half from home to some public big woods area that has some great bucks. The area is really flat. (A three foot elevation change would stretch over a couple hundred acres usually). Every time is set up along a transition area the wind seems to switch a lot. For example, there was a point of real thick cover that does we're bedding just inside of. With a NW wind I set up SE of the point about 40 yards from the thicket. (Gun hunt). Seemed like every time there was a hard gust from the north west, as soon as it would stop there would be a gust come from behind and blow the opposite direction.

This is just one example of what seems like a pattern there. I can never get a consistent wind. It seems like every time the wind speed varies, so does the direction. Any help from experienced big woods guys?

At one point within a three minute span I dropped four milk weed seeds and every one went a different direction.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Big woods wind currents question

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:37 am

If the wind is switching directions a lot how far do you think your scent will travel before it's redirected?

Say for example, it's a variable wind and a buck is standing 50 yards away and there is a gust of wind blowing from you towards him. My thought is the wind could be slightly different 50 yards away and your scent never gets to him. Thoughts?

Probably seems like I'm rambling and might seem like dumb questions but it don't hurt to ask.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:00 am

Look at the trees around you, they can shape the wind currents. Think of a thicket as the low land and a taller group of trees as a hill. Depending on the angle the wind can swirl or deflect off the tree cover. It still passes through the branches but there are always a lot of subtle wind currents doing their own thing. Keep the milkweed flowing, sometimes moving 20-30 yards down the edge or back into the trees won't have the wind doing as much crazy things.

It can get even more crazy in pines, I was sitting an island a week ago and the slow was blowing sideways just 80 yards away but tucked into a pine forest there was almost no wind at all.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:20 am

It's funny you mention that about the pines because this place is owned by a pulp wood company and they clear cut and replant pines. Most of what I was experiencing was along the edges of pine thickets.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:24 am

I think setting up on the leeward side of the shorter pines in more mature timber is what was causing the wind to swirl back the opposit direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”