Keep Bumping Him!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Keep Bumping Him!!

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:26 pm

solocam88 wrote:To me there are way too many variables. I think that there is a lot of over thought going into something that you have limited knowledge of regardless of how much scouting you have done. Do you know where all the bedding is on the neighbors property? Or how far that particular buck is willing to go to get away from your presence and pressure? Unless you own or have access to hundreds of acres and know exactly where a buck is going to go, you are doing more harm than good IMO. Bump him constantly and your neighbor dumps him.

This is certainly true with a lot of situations... There are many places I hunt where a bump would be out of the question because the buck would likely move across borders or into a worse situation... In the places where this has worked for me, its been large public areas that I know intimately.
Take the marsh behind my house, I know just about every big buck bed out there and which bucks are using them. A bump there can be easy for me, but for a guy who don't know the beds well, he might just loose track of that buck.
A few years ago I had a Booner bedding in a spot that always holds some of the best bucks. Its in a very remote area that only sees human activity about once or twice a year and thats usually me doing a bump...
I new the buck was in there cause I seen him enter and exit the area.
I new his secondary bedding area, and had some close calls with him there but after a couple hunts he moved remote... During gun season I had someone hard bump him for me while I sat in his secondary bedding spot. On the way out I fell though the ice and got soaked to my shoulders in the freezing weather... After siting on post nearly freezing from hypothermia I figured the push was over at 9:30 am when a little buck came in from the direction of the pushed buck bedding area... I headed back and changed. The Guy who bumped for me stopped over and said it was so hard getting back there that he did not bump the bucks till nearly 11:00 So I went back out and when I got to my tree 20 yards away the booner jumped up and took off... If I had stayed I would of gotten him for sure... The buck then ran to the other end of the swamp and a neighbor shot him. 180 something...

solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Good story Dan. I could see how this might work on a massive wet marsh where the bedding is limited and big buck beds are in precise locations on high spots. But even in that situation you need to be in a place where you can get within bow range of that bed where you think he is going to go. With a rifle that would be much easier. In most of my spots bumping a buck would be out of the question. Too many small parcels of land and too many options for that buck to go. In those areas I would rather take the chance of knowing that he is in there and wait for him to make a mistake during the rut, than try to pull off a bump with a chance of him never returning to where I know he is living. But every situation is different.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 pm

My story continues......... I went and checked my trail cameras today and got a picture of him outside of the swamp in woods probably about 500 yards from where i jumped him. It was 7:30 when i got the pic and i jumped him around 4:00.

So for these three and a half hours, i wonder if he beded for a bit or if he staged around and headed out early. This buck is 5 years old and i know him very well and normaly does not show up in this woods till the does start getting hot. So i know he most likely went through there because of me.

Knowing what he did that night, i wonder if i can play with this knowlege or if he will do something similar again.

Any thoughts or sugestions would be great
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:21 pm

I also wonder, if he did bed down for a little after i jumped him, did he grow impatent from his adrenlin pumping so that made him get up and move early?

Also, with where this buck is living, im not worried about anyone shooting him because im bumping him.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:59 am

Me and Andrae used to hunt the same farm and one of his bumping tactics really shocked me... He would soft bump a bunch of the buck bedding areas around mid to late afternoon and then go get on post... The bucks were moving pretty late and this was Andraes way of getting them on there feet during legal shooting hours... He got a pretty big buck on that farm using that technique.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 am

That Andrae is crazy like a fox. Come to think of it I have bumped a few bucks out of their beds and noticed many times they don't go all that far, just far enough to get to safety, then they kind of hold up. I can see how getting them on their feet a little early and getting into hunting position could really pay off.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:42 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:Do you have any clue on what way he will exit his bed when you soft bump him? If so you could setup on his exit route down far enough away and then have one of your buddies do the soft bump for you. Maybe worth a shot.

>X2<
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:27 pm

headgear wrote:That Andrae is crazy like a fox. Come to think of it I have bumped a few bucks out of their beds and noticed many times they don't go all that far, just far enough to get to safety, then they kind of hold up. I can see how getting them on their feet a little early and getting into hunting position could really pay off.

When he got the big buck I referred to, he walked upwind of the bucks bed letting the buck smell, hear, and possibly see him. He never walked towards the bed, but perpendicular and did not stop. He could see deer rise out of beds and watch him. He then did a large circle and set up down wind where a while later the big guy came sneaking out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”