Logging Road Beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Logging Road Beds

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:56 pm

I just wanted to share this little bit of info I feel I have picked up on the last couple years. In NW PA where I hunt, it is not true 'hill country'. There are a lot of long, steep hillsides with deep cuts and not much for points or knobs for conventional buck bedding. Through spring scouting earlier this year and some in season scouting after tagging out this fall I found a new bedding scenario to look for in this terrain.

Almost all of these hillsides have logging roads dissecting them, running parallel or at an angle. What I have found is that the logging roads that do not get used by humans will be used for bedding by bucks in certain spots. This didn't surprise me when it was happening at the top 1/3rd elevation, but what I found is that it is true at any elevation. Where the logging roads cut through the steepest sections of the hill, the bucks will bed right there on the logging road. Even if there is no structure and what may seem like a lack of cover.

I have blood trailed many bucks to where they have laid down in areas like this and I figured they just laid down there because they were hurting. The buck I killed Nov 12th I am almost positive came from one of these beds and he ran right back to it and died. He came from and ran right back in the same direction:

In the pic he is laying right on the logging road. This logging road was way down in the bottom 1/3rd elevation. You can see how steep it is uphill just behind me to the right and it drops off just as steep to the left. His bed was right on the very edge of the logging road on the downhill side, just out of frame to the left. It was worn to the dirt and had lots of long white belly hair in it(I wish I thought to take a pic of it). It was right where the logging road cut across a very steep section of hill with no benches nearby above or below. There was no structure or cover adjacent to the bed. There were no rubs or buck sign within a hundred yards or more. I would have never found this bed or thought to look there for it there if he had not led me to it.

I believe they are bedding in this situation(obviously because they feel safe) due to having a very steep drop off below them, making an approach impossible from below. The steep section above them keeps anything from quietly coming towards them from above and they generally have good sight advantage in both directions.

This is an example I found scouting for more beds like this. This is not the actual topo of the bed or hill I hunt and the logging roads are not exact. Logging roads in black and bed would be the black 'X':

This bed was about 1/2 elevation and the bed is under some evergreens right in the middle of the logging road:

This is a panoramic view from the bed. You can see the sheer drop off below and it is nothing but vertical earth behind:Image

Nothing earth shattering about this info, but it is just something to look out for if you hunt a hillside that lacks the topography for traditional beds and has unused logging roads...

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Logging Road Beds

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:10 pm

:think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:12 am

PalmettoKid wrote:
Almost all of these hillsides have logging roads dissecting them, running parallel or at an angle. What I have found is that the logging roads that do not get used by humans will be used for bedding by bucks in certain spots. This didn't surprise me when it was happening at the top 1/3rd elevation, but what I found is that it is true at any elevation. Where the logging roads cut through the steepest sections of the hill, the bucks will bed right there on the logging road. Even if there is no structure and what may seem like a lack of cover.

Nothing earth shattering about this info, but it is just something to look out for if you hunt a hillside that lacks the topography for traditional beds and has unused logging roads...

I have a friend in eastern Tennessee that hunts the mountains the same way. We were talking about that just the other day. He commented on the old logging roads making a Bench of sorts. On of his best places to find bucks.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
186buck

Unread postby 186buck » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:39 am

So how would you hunt this spot in the future? It would seem you could not approach down the old logging road. Get as close as possible and hope he gets to you before dark?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:50 am

Interesting PK!

A buddy killed a dandy buck last season bedding in a very similar situation. Unused logging road with a drop off into a ravine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:09 am

I have seen alot of the same here in western WI. 2 of the best bedding areas i know of are on old grown over logging roads at about mid hill.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:50 am

186buck wrote:So how would you hunt this spot in the future? It would seem you could not approach down the old logging road. Get as close as possible and hope he gets to you before dark?

The bed where my buck died I would hunt the same way I killed him. There is a small bench about 150 yards from his bed he was using when I shot him that is just below all the hunting pressure on the top of the hill. You can't get much closer to where he was bedded without him knowing.

The second bed in the snow I would hunt from below where the log road dumps into a beaver dam swamp where the does bed. I would get close to my destination and then wait until the thermals switch and move in. I hunted down there before I knew the bed was up there. I was in his staging area but he was watching me walk to my setup. I heard him stand up and come down the logging road crunching in dry leaves and raking small trees. He skirted around my setup I am sure he knew I was there. This was my first year hunting this section and was just guessing. I got to scout it thoroughly afterward and feel very good about hunting it next year. This is a rub I heard him make less than 70 yards from my stand at last light:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:08 am

I've seen this a few times, beds right on remote roads and sometimes on a bend where they can see down each lane a good distance. They key is they are never or rarely traveled and they seem to like them more if there is good escape cover nearby. I hit a remote island that had a road through it and jumped a buck a couple seasons back, meant to hunt it this year but never got the right wind but its on the list for next year early season. I will have to approach through the woods and setup just out of sight.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:17 am

Great observation... I have seen this in some of the steeper stuff I hunt as well...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:58 am

I'm in the bluffs in western wi I have I chunk of land that has a logging road that I rarely have trimmed and the deer do bed on this.this is a very big hill and it is at least halfway down the hill where they bed on it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:13 am

I often find sheds on the logging roads in bluff like terrain... so I believe ya 100%... they definetly walk them too when traveling from A to B. I missed a 150" class buck on such a logging road that was just tore up with sign... scrapes and rubs
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:27 am

Also, those logging roads a lot of the time were created where they were in the first place because it was the easiest way to traverse through the topography. So in addition to bedding it would make sense for general travel, especially rut travel. I have found logging roads (old) with lots of sign in them. My buck this year ran right through one before he eventually died.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
sethg

Unread postby sethg » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:47 am

Interesting you say this. I found 2 buck beds on Sunday ( about 60 yards apart, prob same buck) on a logging road that ran the top 1/3rd elevation line on some mtn public land. The spot that the beds were at were just as you described. Almost straight down, looking downward. and very very steep behind him, going upwards. I would imagine that the bucks probably travel out the logging road in either direction from his bed, to stage and get ready to go feed at night. My only predicament is there are absolutely 0 crop fields nearby. So i'm trying to figure out what his food source may be, and also still trying to locate the does. I agree 100% with you though. Logging roads that form a "bench" across steep slopes can be golden. I hope to try these out in the future.
LittleD
Facebook: www.facebook.com

Unread postby LittleD » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:18 am

Are you finding the bucks only using these beds on the leeward side, or does it not seem to matter with them bedding at any elevation?

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:36 pm

LittleD wrote:Are you finding the bucks only using these beds on the leeward side, or does it not seem to matter with them bedding at any elevation?

I can not answer this for sure. Both hillsides I hunt do lay leeward to the prevailing wind direction for the fall. One of them is the only hillside within a mile or so, so I'm pretty sure they are bedding there any wind. I do not spend enough time up there scouting and observing to really say with any conviction either way.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”