Not to beat a dead horse

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lewis1303

Not to beat a dead horse

Unread postby Lewis1303 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:19 am

Over the past few hunting seasons I've separated from family to hunt alone. This past week I ran into one of my family members in which for some reason he felt the need to share how they shot 4 deer in the last week(two of them bucks) after hours from their camp under the floodlight using the crossbow. Normally I would say violaters will be violaters, but they're motivation to do this was definitely the legalization of cross bows. They hunt with them legally during the day, but illegally at night. It's great right? Now you can shoot from the shoulder without having to worry about anyone hearing the shot! On public land, they follow the rules. All of there stands have their names on them and they take them down within the guidelines. That's the way I've always known them by hunting along side them for many years. Just something to consider with the legalization of crossbows. I had never to my knowledge known these guys to violate like this before. It saddens me knowing I may have to turn them in. I had been reading the thread on illegal tree stands and kind of thought about my role on turning my family members in. Do I just look the other way like some have said about illegal tree stands or do we have a responsibility to protect our resources?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"Back in the old days if a man shot a deer he was considered a good hunter. Today if he shoots a deer it is said he has a good deer blind." Some unknown old time Yooper!
Crazinamatese

Re: Not to beat a dead horse

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:25 am

Yeah, I would probably do something about the poaching problem your family members are doing. Remain anonymous if you have to. But, comparing poaching deer to treestands left on public is like comparing oranges to pizza IMO. Its not a crossbow problem either. Its a "idiots with alot of time on their hands" problem. Lay the blame on the individuals where it belongs and not blame the weapons.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Family is more important to me that a few deer. Not that I agree with poaching deer but turning family in isn't worth the damaged relationships. Imo

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Sorry, but I don't buy all of it. Legalization of cross bows hasn't turned people bad. Crossbows have been around for years. If someone wants to poach, then they are going to do it. If they are shooting after hours what does having a "legal" weapon with them have to do with it? Crossbows don't encourage people to violate, guns don't kill people and spoons don't make people fat. Seems like there is a bunch of back story here imo.

chris
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Could do the same thing with a bow. I don't think crossbows have anything to do with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Trailcamaddict wrote:Could do the same thing with a bow. I don't think crossbows have anything to do with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree with this statement. However, I have to admit I've heard a disproportionate number of poaching cases with crossbows this year. :think: I hope its just subject sensitivity...
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Yea its the people that are the problem, not the weapons they choose to use. I am not a fan of crossguns but don't think your situation is about that.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:40 pm

matt1336 wrote:Family is more important to me that a few deer. Not that I agree with poaching deer but turning family in isn't worth the damaged relationships. Imo

I agree here. This is family and could really make your life a mess. I think putting a little element of doubt in their heads could go a long way. You know all the details, and would need to think it through. Maybe a passive comment that you heard law enforcement is investigating their night shooting, might go a long way? Or just come out and ask them what is their major malfunction? However you proceed, it is going to be a difficult decission. Good luck.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Im confused here. So, its ok if family goes out and breaks the law, illegally kills a bunch of deer, maybe other stupid crap in the mix, we should just shut up and pretend nothing is happening because it might divide the family and create a mess? But if it was some yahoo that isn't related to you in any way out there illegally killing deer off the road, throw them right under the bus at the first chance and call the cops? We talk about how big and tough sportsmen we are around here and how we should punish the law breakers, but we are willing to turn your cheek when you know dam well there is a problem right before your eyes because people are afraid of what the family will think. That makes you a part of the problem.
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:20 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Im confused here. So, its ok if family goes out and breaks the law, illegally kills a bunch of deer, maybe other stupid crap in the mix, we should just shut up and pretend nothing is happening because it might divide the family and create a mess? But if it was some yahoo that isn't related to you in any way out there illegally killing deer off the road, throw them right under the bus at the first chance and call the cops? We talk about how big and tough sportsmen we are around here and how we should punish the law breakers, but we are willing to turn your cheek when you know dam well there is a problem right before your eyes because people are afraid of what the family will think. That makes you a part of the problem.

I can see the other side of the story about family and it would be rather hard to do but I do believe you have to do something to stop this. Crazi is right letting it go on is just as bad as holding the light

tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Mibowhunter91 wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Im confused here. So, its ok if family goes out and breaks the law, illegally kills a bunch of deer, maybe other stupid crap in the mix, we should just shut up and pretend nothing is happening because it might divide the family and create a mess? But if it was some yahoo that isn't related to you in any way out there illegally killing deer off the road, throw them right under the bus at the first chance and call the cops? We talk about how big and tough sportsmen we are around here and how we should punish the law breakers, but we are willing to turn your cheek when you know dam well there is a problem right before your eyes because people are afraid of what the family will think. That makes you a part of the problem.

I can see the other side of the story about family and it would be rather hard to do but I do believe you have to do something to stop this. Crazi is right letting it go on is just as bad as holding the light

I agree that something needs to be done. The only problem is that he would have to have some actual evidence to go with it. If he just told the Game Warden that his family members told him that they poached those deer, when questioned about it his family members are just going to deny it and nothing will be able to be done. That's the problem with these situations because unless you catch them in the act or have them on a trail camera or something people are gonna get away with it. Or at least that's how it is in the Counties around where I hunt.
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Its a good thing suppressors are legal to hunt with here in Kansas..... :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 pm

I can see maybe providing compelling evidence maybe an issue. If these guys are bragging about this, how hard would it be to dig up more truth out of them? Especially if they don't know your intent to have an intervention. Personally I would talk with other family about it first and try to get them on your side and hopefully Grandpa, Uncle Bob, Uncle Dave, Dad will corner these clowns and put an end to it. If that doesn't work, what do you do? A step up and getting law enforcement involved is the end answer IMO. Either way, Police up your own before they do more damage. This is a serious problem. Doing nothing about it is not the answer!
KillYourTV

Unread postby KillYourTV » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Turning in family is a pretty big bridge to burn... a couple deer is not worth it IMHO.

Tell them you think it's and to knock it off, but leave the government out of it.
[glow=LIME]Mathews Z7 Magnum
CE Maxima Red w/ Rage eXtreme
[/glow]
[glow=GREEN]Summit Viper XD
XOP Air Raid
XOP Sticks
[/glow]
[glow=LIME]Horton Storm RDX[/glow]
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:11 pm

I agree.

Honestly if I had family like that I would not want anything to do with them anyway. I take this stuff very seriously and have zero tolerance for poaching. Thankfully everybody in my family that hunts is respectful and follows the laws.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”