True Sportsmanship on public ground

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

True Sportsmanship on public ground

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 am

I hit the woods early on Saturday and got climbed in earlier than most days. I had went to the spot where I had missed the big boy on Monday. It was COLD as many of you who were out can attest to.

I found the tree I wanted to climb that I had set up on Tuesday before the rest meltdown and such. I had thought that no one was hunting in this area. I got climbed up in the big old cherry tree, to where my 30' bow rope would not give me any more slack. I had messed up a bit and had my platform just a bit too much of an angle so it was not level, but was still sloped in the way that it would still be safe.

I was clipping my bow hanger and such on the tree when I saw a light coming down through the woods right towards me. I gave a few whistles and the light stopped and appeared to be going another direction.

I continued getting my stuff together and went to turn around when I see the light coming right towards me at about 30 yards or so. I was thinking in my head "You have got to be kidding me!!"

I just kept my light on the guy who made his way to a little hemlock tree.

"I see you up there buddy, I am just getting my treestand out of here and will be on my way"

Here I am 10 yards from where this guy was hunting and didn't even realize it.

"Hey man I'm really sorry I didn't know anyone was hunting this spot." I say.

"Hey man, I don't own the land, but do you mind If I climb up and hunt?" the hunter asked.

In my mind at first I was thinking "Really?" but then my mind soon switched as it was the last day, this guy could have been hunting here all season without me knowing and I am in his spot.

"Naw man you are good, go a head up."

I could see what way he was facing so I switched my treestand so we would be facing different directions. To say it was awkward was an understatement. I had recognized his voice from seeing him when Lilly and I were scouting for grouse.

It was very odd to hunt with some one you don't even know so close to you, but we both had that mellow natured, attitude to us. I was weary to call, or anything, as I did not know how the guys hunting style was. I was about 10' higher than he was because I did not have cover to my set up as he did.

He made it until about 10:00 and had a bit of a coughing fit. He climbed down and was packing up when I talked to him

"Hey bud, are you planning on hunting here this evening?" I ask.

I had full intentions of doing an all day sit here, but now that I was in someone elses spot I had to ask him.

"I was planning on it, but I have another treestand some where else"

At this point I could barley feel my toes anyway, and being the last day I could not imagine ruining this guys hunt any further.

I told him "Hold up, I'm climbing down, I have a few other places to hunt as well"

I climbed down, and we started to talk about the season. I let him know where the big boy came out of, and such. He shared some info about the deer he had on camera and what he saw as well. We discussed this track of gamelands and how we hunt certain areas and what we saw this weekend.

I apologized again, and promised him I had no clue anyone else was there.

He said "Hey bud, don't worry about it, I don't own any of the ground we are standing on. Since I beat Cancer 2 years ago, I don't get worked up about this kind of thing. I just think of how many people out there can't do what you and I are doing right now, and that they would give anything to be out here. I am actually going home to check on my brother who just found out he got the cancer."

This really made me realize how much I take for granted in my life. Here I was this morning getting huffy because someone was coming into where I am hunting, and getting worked up over something so small, when this guy was just thankful for another day to see the sun.

We talked a bit more and walked out of the woods together. I didn't catch his name, and he didn't catch mine. I feel that we each came out of the woods that day with a different respect for hunters. We both realized that even with the new age, me me me, and my my my hunting culture that is growing, there are still some good old boys out there.

Although I didn't get a deer that morning or so much as see a glimpse of the big boy I was after, I feel like that hunt was a success. I could have said something like "I really wanted to hunt this alone" or could have been cross with the guy, but instead I focused on the bigger picture and how to be a true sportsman. The guy also could have went off on me for being in his spot and such. But he chose not to.

The next time you are hunting public land, and someone comes into "your" spot, just think of this story. I may have met a true friend that day, that never could have happened if I went off on the guy, or was cross with him about sharing the hunt with me.

I thanked god after that interesting encounter, not only for the friendship, but letting me see first hand what true sportsmanship is all about.

Thanks for the read.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Wlog
500 Club

Re: True Sportsmanship on public ground

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:51 am

Cool story. It's not all about killing deer. There are still a lot of good people in the world you just don't hear about them on the news.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 am

Wow that says a lot about you as an individual right there! Well done!! Hunting is so much more than killing.. I wish the anti hunters would read stories like yours!! That was a successful morning in the woods for both of you no matter how you look at it!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:57 am

8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:03 am

I wasn't going to share that one to be honest, but it helped me realize things that I take for granted and also thought that with so many horror stories on public land I thought this one might be a pick me up :)
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:04 am

bowmike wrote:I wasn't going to share that one to be honest, but it helped me realize things that I take for granted and also thought that with so many horror stories on public land I thought this one might be a pick me up :)

Spot on!

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:42 am

8-)
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
AttackMode

Unread postby AttackMode » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 am

Good job man. We need more of this as sportsmen. :clap:
I just kill mtn bucks
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:42 pm

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing. I think you two will cross paths again some day.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:49 pm

:clap:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:26 pm

That was a very touching, sensitive, manly and awesome showing of public land respect. Tip of the hat to you and best wishes for your hunting success.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Great story..I've ran into a couple of guys like this during bow season. To bad more public hunters don't have that same attitude

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Amen, brother.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:06 pm

Good story and reminder

whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:11 pm

that's cool, keeping it real. 8-)
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”