Two day 10 point big woods buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

Re: Two day 10 point big woods buck

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Woodsman, I hate guys like you. Anyway, did you get that buck west of Duluth by your cabin???

VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:37 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well Done!!!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Good stuff, I've been meaning to try some stalking this year, probably muzzle, congrats!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by olivertractor on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:56 pm

ihookem wrote:Woodsman, I hate guys like you. Anyway, did you get that buck west of Duluth by your cabin???

In MN up on the border...

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:13 pm

olivertractor wrote:Good stuff, I've been meaning to try some stalking this year, probably muzzle, congrats!

I still have my tag too. I might muzzleloader hunt. It'll be really important to find a track very early...short days. Deer aren't making many tracks... I'll be looking in cutovers.

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:53 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:
olivertractor wrote:Good stuff, I've been meaning to try some stalking this year, probably muzzle, congrats!

I still have my tag too. I might muzzleloader hunt. It'll be really important to find a track very early...short days. Deer aren't making many tracks... I'll be looking in cutovers.

Yep cuts for me also, got few they left oaks in and bumper crop this year, can't wait, just waiting for orange army to vamoose!

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:33 pm

I got greedy in Ontario today. I will have to think about it all year. I found a decent track at 5:45AM today.

Decent print and very good stride and stance.

Knowing I had 2 hours before legal shooting time to look for a bigger track, I drove around another 20-30 miles. That track was on endless public and I could've gotten going on it right at daylight. That is ideal because you're full of energy... or Monster...

Having 8-9 hours to work on it could've made for a good day. I knew within a few hours when it was made because I know what time the snow stopped.

Anyway, somehow I convinced myself to go back to a different area (40 miles away) where I know there is at least one huge buck, instead. ...Regardless of the fact I got burned tracking a buck onto a small piece of private and having to abandon the track.

Well I didn't find the big buck track but got on a different one and again got burned tracking another buck onto that same private land safe haven, just mentioned, and had to give up again.

Here's the buck I tracked onto private today. I know this track looks old but it's not - that's the trick - remembering how much snow... and when ... It was blowing and snowing hard during this pic.

...onto private... ugh.

I doubt it's a coincidence the bucks there make a run for the border.

LESSON: I will never track anywhere near private land again. What a waste of two days.

I was pumped to track deer for 7-8 days but 4 of the days it was frigid (-15F etc.) and the snow from previous Sunday sounded like squeeky Cornflakes covered in Cap'n Crunch.

I did not want to spend any time sitting, but my Cabelas Extreme Stand Hunter suit saved the day for sitting. I packed it into about within 300 yards from intended spot then change.

By the way, the area I'm hunting is all screwed up. 3 tough winters, widespread baiting for $, wolves... there are pockets of deer on public but you have to get away from it all and find them.

Here's some of my gear. Not shown: GPS and Gene Ward small survival kit.

My favorite addition this year is the cheap clear safety glasses for the walks out. I bought them when I was trying to be a Beast hunter and was getting my eyes jabbed out, leaving the marsh after pitch dark.

This friction stuff rocks.

Nice up north:

I don't know what it's like for you all but I get a 2-3 second opportunity at a decent buck every 20 days of hunting. So I'm working on it. For big woods I'm convinced the best way to shorten that gap would be to learn to track and seal the deal.

I really want to learn to kill bucks that way... but I don't get many chances like today, that's why it burns me up.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:27 am

Looks ch, ch, ch , chilly....
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Tracking is hard work. Well done and Nice buck

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:35 pm

I just came across your thread Bigwoodsmn. You sure got after them! Those tracks look huge compared to what I see in the Adirondacks. Congrats. You can always practice track after the season...
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Great buck full of memories

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:39 pm

yungbuck wrote:Great buck full of memories[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Lots of memories... I got a couple of minutes of video each time with my dad, the last two years. I killed a real nice one a few years ago, and when he came to join me and help drag it out I forgot to take some video with my phone. That bothers me because it only would have taken a second. I wasn't thinking straight... I got some photos though.

SamPotter wrote:I just came across your thread Bigwoodsmn. You sure got after them! Those tracks look huge compared to what I see in the Adirondacks. Congrats. You can always practice track after the season...

That's a great idea - and I really need to do it because those deer take you into places you'd never think to go. Some of the places seem so desolate for quite a ways, and all of a sudden you're on some ridge in a nice pocket of deer...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:37 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”