How do you blend in?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SonofUlam

How do you blend in?

Unread postby SonofUlam » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:28 am

Just wondering what you guys specifically do different, if anything, to blend in with changing surroundings. What colors match what surroundings best? For example what do you do different for marsh in Sept vs. Dec. with snow? How about before and after leaf drop, how about big woods with snow vs lots of green still?

I've read a lot of the posts debating whether or not camo patterns work- but that's not exactly what I'm asking here.

Whether it's work clothes, something out of the coat closet or bought especially for hunting, or nothing at all, what exactly do you do different to blend in with your changing surroundings? Specifics would be great!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
parkersdad

Re: How do you blend in?

Unread postby parkersdad » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 am

The only thing you can do is hunt where the cover is. I wear my same camo I just get to where there are a couple good branches to break me up a little bit.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I will go to Natgear once everything turns brown.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:27 pm

I limit my movement to head and shoulders as much as possible and keep scanning for incoming.... 8-)

I have used a "kill suit" ghille type suit, they work OK.

I will be putting one on the classies soon....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Predator Green Deception early and Predator Brown Deception as things change later. Ghillie suit when hunting on the ground. I try to adapt to the situation and rarely get spotted.

AttackMode

Unread postby AttackMode » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:50 pm

Vertigo Tan early. Vertigo Grey after leaf drop.
I just kill mtn bucks
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:08 pm

I think specific camo is over-rated. I've had deer walk up on me in street clothes on the ground and out in the open from upwind. I've been in full camo with camo hat and facemask but got busted wiping the snot from my nose (tonight).

Anything to break up the outline....and nothing reflective like my big white face.

Movement...then big unnatural blobs of any shade....If they had the eyes of a turkey we'd never be able to kill them.

I had a doe step right next to my backpack this season...But turkeys spot it sitting under my tree from 50yds.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:12 pm

seeds wrote:I think specific camo is over-rated. I've had deer walk up on me in street clothes on the ground and out in the open from upwind. I've been in full camo with camo hat and facemask but got busted wiping the snot from my nose (tonight).

Anything to break up the outline....and nothing reflective like my big white face.

Movement...then big unnatural blobs of any shade....If they had the eyes of a turkey we'd never be able to kill them.

I had a doe step right next to my backpack this season...But turkeys spot it sitting under my tree from 50yds.

At one time I thought the same thing until I bought Predator Camo. Before using other camo patterns I was getting spotted in a tree on a regular basis. Since switching to Predator 4 years ago it hasn't happened once that I can recall. Made me a believer that patterns can make a huge difference.

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Predator camo and more importantly, don't let them see you move.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Ya gotta get the UV killer spray, otherwise you stick out like a nite light. Guys will spend thousands of dollars on "predator" camo t -shirt but not spend a few cents on the UV killer. Predator camo is worthless without UV killer. Oh yeah baby, go go go UV killer go go go .

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Most scent free detergents have UV killer. I use dead down wind and it does.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Bhuntin

Unread postby Bhuntin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Like other guys have said I think movement is a big one no matter what your wearing. As far as camo goes I like lighter open patterns. If you notice all patterens mentioned so far are just that. I like ASAT but all the above patterens are good.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:38 pm

john1984 wrote:Ya gotta get the UV killer spray, otherwise you stick out like a nite light. Guys will spend thousands of dollars on "predator" camo t -shirt but not spend a few cents on the UV killer. Predator camo is worthless without UV killer. Oh yeah baby, go go go UV killer go go go .

Never used UV Killer on my Predator camo. Can't say it hurt me at all. :think:

JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:42 pm

I tend to set stands higher or set up in bigger trees with more cover. During early season I don't have problems unless wind or movement is the culprit. Once the leaves drop I often have deer look right at me if I don't break up my "blob". My camo does change, but that's because my cold weather cloths tend to be patterns for later in the year, my warm weather cloths are in early season patterns.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:43 pm

UV (ultra-violet) brighteners in clothing gather energy from light and reflect that energy into a narrow band that causes a white or blue glow. Although this glow cannot be seen by the naked human eye, animals--particularly deer--are very sensitive to this reflective coloring. As a result, hunters in general, and deer hunters in particular, should take precautions to neutralize and remove these UV brighteners.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”