Questions about hunting Hill Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Questions about hunting Hill Country

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am

I figure its too late to go looking for beds now. Season opens Oct. 15 here in NY, and I have a couple of beds, but I found them in February / March. Will bucks be using the same beds in October that they are using in Jan, Feb, and March?

Also, do only mature bucks utilize the thermal tunnel for bedding / security or will the little guys be hip to this too? Do you guys ever find that bucks are bedding on the bottom instead of the top third? Or is that pretty rare?

Just trying to get a better understanding of the tactics so I can really apply them for next year.

Thanks so much guys

Gary

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Questions about hunting Hill Country

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:43 am

Will bucks be using the same beds in October that they are using in Jan, Feb, and March?

In Hill country, yes.
Also, do only mature bucks utilize the thermal tunnel for bedding / security or will the little guys be hip to this too?

The small bucks and even lone does, will use these beds too, using the thermal tunnel effect. However, the bigger more dominant bucks will kick a smaller or less dominant animal from the bed upon arrival. So weather or not big bucks are bedding there is more dependent on your big buck population. Often the only way to find out whats in there without prior scouting is to set up and see what rolls out.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Questions about hunting Hill Country

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:45 am

Do you guys ever find that bucks are bedding on the bottom instead of the top third? Or is that pretty rare?

Not very often... But occasionally you will see a buck bed someplace different. Always is not a word someone should use to describe whitetail bucks...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”