Primarily buck beds and setting up ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

Primarily buck beds and setting up ?

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Dan and guys I was thinking that going forward I need to find more beds for next year as I used most of mine up this year but mainly I need to find primary beds, which I am going to consider ones with good rubs in it or very close and big tracks in them. Most I found last year must be seasonal beds or secondary beds. But I was also thinking could you not set up to stand spots for each bed, one for early and one after the leaves fall. Dan you say to get out of sight and sound but I think that could be pushed when the leaves are on. There is a bed I found the other day if you could sneak in I bet you could get with in 20 yards of it on the ground it is that thick where he is. Also do you always setup were the most track coming out of is.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

remmag
500 Club

Re: Primarily buck beds and setting up ?

Unread postby remmag » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm curious on this as well..I just made a post asking about primary beds. I found some buck beds that I was trying to figure out whether they were primary beds and would be useful to hunt next bow season..I think sometimes its just a guessing game..as every bed and topo are different in some way.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:49 pm

Maybe Dan or others will chime in on this

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Thermals wrote:Dan and guys I was thinking that going forward I need to find more beds for next year as I used most of mine up this year but mainly I need to find primary beds, which I am going to consider ones with good rubs in it or very close and big tracks in them. Most I found last year must be seasonal beds or secondary beds. But I was also thinking could you not set up to stand spots for each bed, one for early and one after the leaves fall. Dan you say to get out of sight and sound but I think that could be pushed when the leaves are on. There is a bed I found the other day if you could sneak in I bet you could get with in 20 yards of it on the ground it is that thick where he is. Also do you always setup were the most track coming out of is.

Dan could you back me up on this post or add to it thanks

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 pm

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 pm

In some bedding areas there are 20 or more trees I hunt out of based on visibility and the exact wind... And other spots I may have only one tree... Each situation is unique. I do generally set up on the main exit unless a visual or other sign tells me.
Finding "primary" bedding areas is not as easy as finding seasonal beds... Cherish them when you find them. THEY WILL PAY OFF YEAR AFTER YEAR IF YOU KEEP THE PRESSURE DOWN TO A FEW HUNTS A YEAR or less.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:58 am

dan wrote:In some bedding areas there are 20 or more trees I hunt out of based on visibility and the exact wind... And other spots I may have only one tree... Each situation is unique. I do generally set up on the main exit unless a visual or other sign tells me.
Finding "primary" bedding areas is not as easy as finding seasonal beds... Cherish them when you find them. THEY WILL PAY OFF YEAR AFTER YEAR IF YOU KEEP THE PRESSURE DOWN TO A FEW HUNTS A YEAR or less.

Dan
When you are finding beds do take your stand and prep the tree then or come back after finding some beds. Also it seems that the beds that I would consider primary are in thicker cover even on te 1/3 hills if there Is no cover you won't find a bed there, sea like they like it just thick enough to see but not be easily seen when something or someone goes by.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:20 am

Thermals wrote:
dan wrote:In some bedding areas there are 20 or more trees I hunt out of based on visibility and the exact wind... And other spots I may have only one tree... Each situation is unique. I do generally set up on the main exit unless a visual or other sign tells me.

Dan
When you are finding beds do take your stand and prep the tree then or come back after finding some beds. Also it seems that the beds that I would consider primary are in thicker cover even on te 1/3 hills if there Is no cover you won't find a bed there, sea like they like it just thick enough to see but not be easily seen when something or someone goes by.

Most of my hunting is on public where I am not allowed to prep, so I just pick potential trees... On private I generally scout it completely, then go back and set up spots.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 am

You not allowed to even cut so branches off, I will check on are public land rules but I think it says nothing about cutting limbs. Most of my hunting will be public next year for sure.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Generally I hang an Orange hat at the buck's head level in the bed (Thanks SB), then I walk the periphery of the bedding area and mark trees for different wind directions that are just out of sight of the bed. I mark them with a single reflector about 7-8' up.

I like to walk the bedding area 2 or 3 times in a row. Many times I find secondary beds on the second and third go around...

I think escape routes are very, very important for bedding to be primary.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:36 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Generally I hang an Orange hat at the buck's head level in the bed (Thanks SB), then I walk the periphery of the bedding area and mark trees for different wind directions that are just out of sight of the bed. I mark them with a single reflector about 7-8' up.

I like to walk the bedding area 2 or 3 times in a row. Many times I find secondary beds on the second and third go around...

Are you usin the tack for the dark or do you think you can see them in the day without walking all of the area trying to find them.

SOUTHJERSEYSLAYER

Unread postby SOUTHJERSEYSLAYER » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:44 am

Just curious if you guys usually find scrapes by primary buck beds? I found a few buck beds just outside a swamp and as I walked further up the transition line I found a bunch of scrapes.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:36 am

Thermals wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:Generally I hang an Orange hat at the buck's head level in the bed (Thanks SB), then I walk the periphery of the bedding area and mark trees for different wind directions that are just out of sight of the bed. I mark them with a single reflector about 7-8' up.

Are you usin the tack for the dark or do you think you can see them in the day without walking all of the area trying to find them.

Generally I remember the trees without the tack, but with the amount of spots I scout/hunt continually growing, sometimes 6-12 months or longer between visits, it's nice to know for sure it's the right tree. I have contemplated hanging a ribbon really high above the bed in places where possible. A couple times when I did not mark my kill trees I passed them and bumped the deer as I got way too close to the bed…

It's not just bed setups, but a lot of my sets i do not even get to hunt each year, so you are talking 2-3 years between visits. Things change quite a bit in that time, especially when trying to find the tree in the dark!

So to finally answer your question, it could be for either scenario… lol.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:37 am

SOUTHJERSEYSLAYER wrote:Just curious if you guys usually find scrapes by primary buck beds? I found a few buck beds just outside a swamp and as I walked further up the transition line I found a bunch of scrapes.

Sometimes I find a small, but well used (even in spring and summer) scrape just upwind of the bed, 50-75 yards.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:51 am

PalmettoKid wrote:
Thermals wrote:

Generally I remember the trees without the tack, but with the amount of spots I scout/hunt continually growing, sometimes 6-12 months or longer between visits, it's nice to know for sure it's the right tree. I have contemplated hanging a ribbon really high above the bed in places where possible. A couple times when I did not mark my kill trees I passed them and bumped the deer as I got way too close to the bed…

It's not just bed setups, but a lot of my sets i do not even get to hunt each year, so you are talking 2-3 years between visits. Things change quite a bit in that time, especially when trying to find the tree in the dark!

So to finally answer your question, it could be for either scenario… lol.

I to am very cautious about putting a ribbon above the bed let a long mark my tree. May just rely on a gps and memory

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”