Tips For Mobile Hunting With the LW Stand On Your Back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stuart
500 Club

Tips For Mobile Hunting With the LW Stand On Your Back?

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:28 am

Dan has had success with "Blind Hunts" and by this I mean going into areas that you have not pre-scouted a lot before hand and setting up on hot sign.

I am still new to this so do you have any tips Dan and anybody else that has had success?

Do you set up where you are seeing a lot of fresh tracks?

Sit on the exit trails to fields?

Thanks,
Stuart

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Tips For Mobile Hunting With the LW Stand On Your Back?

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:01 am

Most of my success on blind hunts comes from walking transition lines and setting up on sign...
For instance, with acorns covering the ridges, and no acorns in the marsh's or swamps, following the transition where the oak ridges meet the marsh and then setting up when you find sign coming out can be very successful. If it don't work the 1st set, next day start off where you hunted last and move until you hit fresh sign again.
Big bucks are loners a lot of the time so I don't look just for heavy trails, more for big buck sign or subtle sign...
You can enhance your success by using a topo and skipping strait to certain land features...
In hill country I would expect most mature buck bedding to be off of the points, specifically the points where the wind is blowing down the point and over the valley...
In marshes and swamps you can look for fingers of slightly higher ground going out into the marsh, or any other feature that breaks up the straight transition line of swamp/cattail meeting woods. Generally, wide transitions that have a middle cover such as dogwood are also great bedding... So if an oak ridge ends at dogwood which goes a ways then ends in cattails, that too can be good... Islands of higher ground in swamps and marshes are good too.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:47 am

Last night I did almost exactly what Dan is talking about. I set up on a hidden oak flat that buts up against the marsh. I never hunted their before but from aerials I could see the trails coming from bedding out of the marsh to the oaks. I saw deer, but not the big guy. Right after I got down after closing I could here a lone deer coming up out of the marsh right where I hoped he would. Never did see it, but I can only wonder if it was a decent buck. The whole time I sat in the tree I thought to myself I need to be about 80 yards closer to the marsh. If I would have I just might have had a crack at that deer before dark. So it really is a great way to hunt in my opinon. It's kind of a way to scout in season without trampling spots before you hunt.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:12 am

I should mention that its important to stay a little bit back from the marsh edge if your walking it looking for sign. This cause you cant work backwards. You don't want the buck to smell your ground scent prior to you having a shot at him.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:26 am

Dan, one of the first spots I want to hunt this year is in the swamp where a small river cuts through the lower section of the swamp just off a perpendicular trail heading to apples. This would be a good spot to go right, because of the separation feature.

(Forget about the yellow lines they were there for memory)

Here is a picture of the property Dan.

From the picture it looks like there is a transition line at the blue where it separates from two different types of trees.

The red is the swamp and the blue line is the river that is need the trail.

[b]A is the Apples
Red dot is the Beaver Dam
Black ring is beaver damage that is flooded.
Red is Swamp

Any other ideas and tips for the property? Is there something that could help with the beaver area?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:30 am

Whats in the fields Stuart?
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:32 am

The black rectangles is ginseng but most of it is gone.

In the center of the photo is standing corn.

Any tips?
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:32 am

Click the picture to get a better look!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:37 am

I would walk the transition you pointed out, the swamp edge, the edge of the flooded area, and the edge of the cornfield... Downwind of coarse.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:44 am

Once I walk these spots to hunt what is the best possible things to find and how to set up on theses things?

Scrapes?
Rubs that are scattered?
Large hoof prints?

Find a tree on the downwind side and hunt it right then and there with the Alpha Hang On?

Thanks,
Stuart
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 am

Personally, I look for tails coming out of the thick side of the transition, generally you have a hard time finding tracks to look at on the hard leaf covered ground, but a big track is the best sign to find. Rubs and scrapes are good to, but remember some older bucks don't leave much sign other than tracks. Its the 2 to 3 year olds that do the majority of rubbing and scrapping. When you find a spot you think is good, set up the stand and hunt. Don't leave and come back another day or its burnt.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks for all your help Dan!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”