Later 2014 Rut Comments/Thoughts/Experiences/Help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rut During 2014 Wisconsin Rifle Season? Y or N??

Poll ended at Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:59 pm

YES
86%
NO
14%

Total votes: 7
HogShwacker
Facebook: New Age Construction LLC

Later 2014 Rut Comments/Thoughts/Experiences/Help

Unread postby HogShwacker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Im new to posting here but have been a long time Beast follower. So to kick it off, I must say 2014 archery has been frustrating so far. What started out as a promising spring/summer has rang in a very quiet fall for this guy. I have been putting the puzzle together for 2 years on a double drop tine 12pt that I cheat on my wife with!! I placed stands, looked at topo/food/bedding etc. planning for the day he slips up...but he's a ghost!! Last week I had the gut feeling & the perfect wind to go in with the climber for an ambush. Sat for 3 straight days on stand last fri,sat,sun and saw 2 deer! I didn't notice rubs showing up until the beginning of last week, and scrapes were only a couple days before that. I saw 2 young bucks run past and do a loop the week before. All and all, I have not seen enough activity in my woods (0 shooters seen) to think the peak of the rut has come and gone. The woods around me I feel are getting a lot of pressure, contributing to the problem. Will a late rut be affected in my area due to early pressure? Should I back out, let things cool for the week leading up to gun season, than come back? I have a hard time staying out of the woods this time of year, but I don't want to be chasing my tail either. Please feel free to help a brother out :?

Good Luck To All!

whitetail_addict

Re: Later 2014 Rut Comments/Thoughts/Experiences/Help

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Where are you hunting... what state? How many acres are you hunting? Are you the only one hunting it? That might allow us to better understand your rut situation a bit. I think the key words in your post, however, revolved around pressure. If your land is small enough or hunted by others in or around it you can bet that will have an effect on what you might see. Not to mention, if you're hunting a buck that big I assure you, rut or no rut, he's watching his back wherever he goes and whatever he does; if you've made one mistake this year that might be enough to alter his patterns as well.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:07 am

Definately seems late in my area of WI.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
wiscoz7

Unread postby wiscoz7 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:27 am

Definately seems late in my area of WI.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
I'd definitely agree!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:29 am

Good reports are starting to pick up in North Central WI. It sounds like things are pulling away from lockdown status. Hopefully I can make it out before rifle season and keep the peace at home. :pray:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HogShwacker
Facebook: New Age Construction LLC

Unread postby HogShwacker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:23 pm

I hunt 110 acres of private land in Marquette County Wi. by myself during archery and my brother joins for rifle. Neighbors to my NW have 180 acres and 5 guys hunting it that I know of. There is a couple hundred acres of public about 1000 yds north of my N. line fence with 2 small properties inbetween (12 acres, the other 20 acres). Most of the larger bucks have been on camera closest to this northern area near our line fence which is mainly mature hardwoods with a mix of pines. Whenp hunting this area I have seen bucks in the past run the does into these thickets of pines that range from 6' to 25' tall...once they get em in there, I hear nothing but Barry White music and moaning :lol: There are 2 of these "bedrooms" within 100yds of each other and I have a climber set in a forked red oak inbetween. I have 25 acres of row pines to my south, and a small marsh area with a small stream running through it (roughly 15 acres) separating the next woods which is mostly pin oaks, red oaks. I built my gun stand on the south side of the marsh this last summer so the deer and sign has pretty much disappeared over there (expected). Early season, my photos of the dbl drop 1st came this year where they ended last year Sept., south edge of the pines along the marsh. Entered frame from the south and usually disappeared the same way. I got him fr.om velvet this year and decided to put a camera about 300yds to the north of the marsh just up into the hardwoods. Last pic I had was middle of October and he was up in the hardwoods. The elevation change is higher up there but not "hilly" by any means. The neighbors have a buck that's pushin 180" all day that I feel calls the area to my NW home. All boiled down, I feel like the big bucks call the area to my NW home. But im havin a hard time thinking like a mature buck, when it comes to a party of 5 guys movin into his core area for the season where he wants to be. Right now im just tryin to stay with any does that are near the "bedrooms", and bedding area to west. I hunt there with a WNW, NW, N winds as I am 25 yds south of the bedrooms. Food Situation: East of property is a large picked soybean field, hardwoods have quite a mix of white/red oaks, and picked corn far SW corner of property but its right off the main county road with a lot of traffic and the deer (in the past) don't show up in those fields much. I hope this description helps. Would love to be able to get map of property on here for you to see, but this is a pretty good description of the area. Any input is appreciated. Got a WNW 7mph forecast for tomorrow & hoping to be in the woods by 1:00. Fingers crossed :pray: Good Luck Guys!!

S
s

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”