Thermals?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Thermals?

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:22 pm

New to this can someone explain how they work?

Earn what’s never given.
Crazinamatese

Re: Thermals?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:31 pm

Thermals are air parcels that are warmer than rest of the air parcels around them. So, since warm air is less dense than cold air, the warm air parcels rise upwards.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:53 pm

What things cause thermals? Is it just in the morning? Nor trying to sound like a fool but no one in my family really hunts much and no one seems to know as much as you guys

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Earn what’s never given.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm kind of new to this as well..but I do know that thermals rise in the mornings and drop at night. A important bit of info to remember. I've also learned over the course of this season how unpredictable wind and thermals can be depending on objects and topography etc. The easiest way to learn the habits of these two things while in a hunting situation is to be constantly tossing milk weed seeds..or I personally use cattail seeds which work just as well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm

thermals are where the wind is from the west and the does to the west start to blow at you..... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:16 pm

remmag wrote:I'm kind of new to this as well..but I do know that thermals rise in the mornings and drop at night. A important bit of info to remember. I've also learned over the course of this season how unpredictable wind and thermals can be depending on objects and topography etc. The easiest way to learn the habits of these two things while in a hunting situation is to be constantly tossing milk weed seeds..or I personally use cattail seeds which work just as well.

Ok thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Earn what’s never given.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Zap wrote:thermals are where the wind is from the west and the does to the west start to blow at you..... :lol:

LOL I saw this last year during the rut. I was like wind is in my face, how could I have been busted... Then I threw out some milkweed, and knew... The thermals... The light bulb over my head finally went off!

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Anything the sun is shining on will get warm such as a hillside. This is what causes thermals. Thermals are constantly rising and falling through out the day. A hillside facing east will get the sun shine in the morning, but afternoon, that same hillside will be shaded. No thermals going on there. The south facing hill will be getting the most sunlight at that time. Toward evening, a hillside facing the west maybe producing thermals. Follow the sunlight.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:07 pm

thermals are caused from the sun warming up the forest floor in the morning...............in the evening when the sun goes below the horizon , the thermals will go away and they switched direction .........I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMENDED buy dans hill country bucks DVD .....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:18 pm

here is another example....buck will bed on the down wind side right were the thermal wind and prevailing wind meet....called "thermal tunnel" 1/3 from the top down......

when the sun rises in the morning it makes thermal up drafts ...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”