Wholy smokes am I excited Dan you sir are a beast!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Wholy smokes am I excited Dan you sir are a beast!!!

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Just received my extreme whitetail tactics dvd! Dan you are a Manamil! But I have a few questions. Whats your scent control regimen? Also do you always where street cloths under your camo? Any other quick tips? I used to be the hunter bought every gimmick thinking it would get me big deer quickly relizing simpler is better and knowledge trumps all so any quick tips for a guy like me?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Re: Wholy smokes am I excited Dan you sir are a beast!!!

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:30 pm

By the way the dvds are awesome thats why im so excited!

Earn what’s never given.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:16 pm

do you own all his DVD's? I would start with that. Think you have questions now? just wait! Search your questions with the search engine on the forum. There is so much info covered in the DVD's, you will speed up the Q &A process greatly.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Whats your scent control regimen?
Scent control to me means nev er letting them get down wind, and watching your access and exit trails so they don't smell where you walk...

Also do you always where street cloths under your camo?
Yes... The buck I shot at Saturday I was wearing my work boots cause they are more comfortable in the hills than my Muck's.

Any other quick tips?
Pattern the hunters... Hunt where they don't, regardless of how rediculas the spot looks.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:04 pm

wolfie729 wrote:Just received my extreme whitetail tactics dvd! Dan you are a Manamil! But I have a few questions. Whats your scent control regimen? Also do you always where street cloths under your camo? Any other quick tips? I used to be the hunter bought every gimmick thinking it would get me big deer quickly relizing simpler is better and knowledge trumps all so any quick tips for a guy like me?

lol his scent routine is this...go to work , get full of stinky oil, leave work , go straight to his hunting spot in his work clothes :mrgreen: AND HE STILL KILLS BIG BUCKS EVERY YEAR ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:09 am

dan wrote:
Scent control to me means nev er letting them get down wind, and watching your access and exit trails so they don't smell where you walk...

Yes... The buck I shot at Saturday I was wearing my work boots cause they are more comfortable in the hills than my Muck's.

Any other quick tips?
Pattern the hunters... Hunt where they don't, regardless of how rediculas the spot looks.

So what your telling me is that all the scent camo i have and taking a scent free shower stripping down to my skivs and changing before i go hunting and spraying down is a waste of money and time? Not trying to seem like a smart mouth im seriously asking because if it is thats a lot of money id save and a lot less freezing my but off changing outside at my hunting spot in the winter which sounds good to me

Earn what’s never given.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 am

wolfie729 wrote:
dan wrote:

Any other quick tips?

So what your telling me is that all the scent camo i have and taking a scent free shower stripping down to my skivs and changing before i go hunting and spraying down is a waste of money and time? Not trying to seem like a smart mouth im seriously asking because if it is thats a lot of money id save and a lot less freezing my but off changing outside at my hunting spot in the winter which sounds good to me

; ;) perty much

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:18 am

If dig a little bit you will find some great scent threads in the deer hunting forum :lol:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:36 am

My biggest buck ever was killed 10 minutes after getting out of a roofing truck. We put tar on a roof in Blacksburg Virginia and then I climbed the mountain and got on a little point. 20 minutes later I had a huge eight on the ground. He came from upwind though. Play the wind and you can wear perfume if you want.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:39 am

wolfie729 wrote:
dan wrote:

Any other quick tips?

Yea.... Pixie dust. You can't fool a deers nose. Its been proven many times with tracking dogs that don't smell anywhere close to as good as a deer... No matter what you do, deer in your direct scent stream will smell you, and so will those that cross your access trail. Whether or not you choose to use scent control, always hunt with the belief they will smell you if they get down wind or cross your trail
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:43 am

BigHunt wrote:If dig a little bit you will find some great scent threads in the deer hunting forum :lol:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:14 am

wolfie729 wrote:So what your telling me is that all the scent camo i have and taking a scent free shower stripping down to my skivs and changing before i go hunting and spraying down is a waste of money and time? Not trying to seem like a smart mouth im seriously asking because if it is thats a lot of money id save and a lot less freezing my but off changing outside at my hunting spot in the winter which sounds good to me

There are guys on this site that believe in scent control in one way or another. Stanley believes clean, dry rubber boots help with access and exit routes. Spysar believes in keeping clothing washed in scent free detergent and keeping odors away from hunting gear (and maybe spraying down, etc.). Both those guys are very prolific big buck killers.

But they also hunt the wind. That "forget the wind and just hunt" stuff is garbage. No matter what, hunt the wind.

If a scent control routine helps your confidence or peace of mind, then go ahead. For me, it was a waste of money and a hassle that I hated. So, I ditched all the scent control stuff and just plan my access / exit routes carefully and hunt the wind. It is much more enjoyable for me this way.
"In the deed, the glory"
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:17 am

You will find these guys talk about downwind being a "grey area". Some hunt with scent traveling toward where the wind is coming from. Or scent going over the deers back. Or 3 more steps and the deer would smell them.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:22 am

This year has been so much more enjoyable with only worrying about minimal scent control, and always playing the wind. Less stress over scent = more enjoyment, and more bucks on the ground.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:23 am

I was this excited after Dans video's too, still am. It applies to anywhere, you just need to figure out how. Thats the fun part.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”