Acorns & Rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hill Hunter

Acorns & Rain

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:00 am

Does anyone think, especially in hilly areas, with the last rain storm many parts of WI had, that there will be natural piles of acorns in ravines and water runs because we received so much rain and they would wash into certain areas??

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Acorns & Rain

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 am

Never thought of that... But there probably is.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:14 am

Most likely. some will be on the roadways so beware!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Hill Hunter wrote:Does anyone think, especially in hilly areas, with the last rain storm many parts of WI had, that there will be natural piles of acorns in ravines and water runs because we received so much rain and they would wash into certain areas??

Yes. They stack up big time where the water is funneled into a narrow drain area, whether its blocked by brush or topography, etc. They can be short term hot spots for feeding activity but may have tricky winds because of their location. If you are able to manage the wind, it can be a productive feeding location. In high pressure areas the older bucks normally show up after dark, and stage near their beds whether its hill country or flatland.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:09 am

Yes, yes, yes, I saw it this weekend. Also, I had to be careful walking down a hillside road. When I got to a slight curve on the downside, there were so many acorns along the edge of the road that I would have surely slipped had I tried to walk on them, not to mention they make a loud cracking sound when you step on them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”