Last Minute Tips: Not seeing deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

doefever

Last Minute Tips: Not seeing deer

Unread postby doefever » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 am

Last weekend of Minnesota Gun Season is in two short days.

Central Minnesota
Red Dots= Stand Location
Any Blue area non-huntable

The situation: Last weekend on opener we had 3 guys in the woods. Not one deer spotted. Live scrapes everywhere. Huge one in front of northernmost stand, that wasn't there a week prior. All crops were taken out 2 weeks prior to the season. I have spent all day in each one of our stands--and not seen one thing. We got about a foot of snow Monday and there is a large cornfield "Kitty Corner" to the SouthEast corner of the property.

What am I doing wrong? Was it the fact that I bought Jerky Mix and seasoning at Cabela's three days before the season started? It's like Christmas after finding out Santa is my Dad--Still every bit as awesome but just a small damper on the excitement level.

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Photo URL: copper/displayimage.php?pid=4588

Topo URL: copper/displayimage.php?pid=4589

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Last Minute Tips: Not seeing deer

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:38 am

Hopefully the property, relatively small, hasn't been overhunted all season. If you are seeing no movement, its time to get closer to potential buck bedding.

The wooded point jutting out into the river bottom looks like potential buck bedding...

Any thickets along the river are potential bedding areas, as are any other thickets on the property...

Are there any potholes of water and cover on the property? If so, set up to cover it while playing the wind.

The corner of trees/cover where the road crosses the river should hold bedding, with protection for bucks from multiple sides.

As a last resort, where is the last place you would expect to find a buck on the property... go there.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:42 am

Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:43 am

It is hard to tell what else is around, but I really like the island of trees on the S shape part of the creek just north of the house.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:47 am

Hard to see whats going on in those pic's, but I can say I really would not think about hunting the spots you marked... They seem to much in the wooded areas I would expect everyone to hunt. If it were me, I would be hopping around the thick areas with good cover. That point down by the river on the western edge of the property looks good.
Now that you got snow, follow the tracks back to find the bedding areas and hunt near them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”