Hunting a just off wind..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Hunting a just off wind..

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:49 am

They r predicting 13 mph sw wind tonight... my bed is to east of my stand... n I can just drift the wind behind it... is that too risky or a good plan ? I seen him come out n down the trail last week n sneak out of marsh n down a valley into the woods. hoping he does it again.. what do u guys think about a slight off wind?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Zap

Re: Hunting a just off wind..

Unread postby Zap » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:11 am

gusty winds swirl, steady light wind do not swirl much.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
gatorbait42

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:14 am

It's worth a try. The worst that can happen is you blow him out of his bed and you learn you can't hunt it with that wind. He may not even be anywhere near that bed right now with doe's comming into estrous.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
LSUslik

Unread postby LSUslik » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:16 am

Wind rises(thermals) in morning and falls in evening - use to your advantage approaching and position when hunting iffy wind. I actually do this a lot on purpose. Because I don't believe a mature buck is going to walk down wind ever. He didn't get mature by doing that. If you have to say walk through a bottom in morning I do so where leaving the least scent cone and then getting on a higher elevation than where I expect deer travel, bedding etc.... So it's risky, but risk reward always pays off. Could go either way! Bust is always an option! So vs hunting the wind I like to call it using the wind to my advantage. You'll notice running up on a few bucks too because when there's only one spot he could wind you on a ridge he'll be laying right there looking the other way. Part of the game though.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”