Just some observations

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

Just some observations

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:34 pm

I was hunting public land yesterday. I was only .13 mi. from the road and parking area. I observed things that make me wonder how many deer know we are coming into the woods before we even step off the road. Several cars pulled in during me hunt. I knew when a car was pulling in cause of the pace that they slow down. Then I could hear the tires cracking on the stones. I couldn't hear them open the doors but I heard them slam the doors , clear as a bell too. Then I knew exactly when they were entering the woods. When they locked the door,,,,,, the horn went off for just a split second but it was darn loud for a quiet evening. I never hunted this close to a parking lot but I am convinced many hunters are a dead give away that htey are coming,,,, almost an advertisement they are coming. Do you think deer have this figured out???

fauxfly

Re: Just some observations

Unread postby fauxfly » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:59 pm

ihookem... That's a pretty cool observation - I have about a dozen beds located - all within sight of parking lots. I never realized the close proximity to the parking lots that mature bucks will bed - I guess when they are hard wired to bed based on the wind and natural topo features, they really don't care where I park all year long. I've sat in a few beds and can actually see the front grill of my truck! (only about 350 yrds away) Just 2 deer seasons ago if you would have told me that the biggest buck on the piece of public land where I hunt has a bed within eye and ear shot of where I park my truck I would have laughed you out of the bar!!

Now you have my full and undivided attention! ( and no-ones laughing) except the big buck...for now.

They don't get to be big and mature by not knowing how to play the game better than us...
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:07 pm

That is amazing that the big bucks will bed down so close to a road. Dan here on the Beast sais his favorite is 100 yds from a road but he gets dropped off . A mature buck sure is a strange animal. I am sure they know we are there , if we blow the horn to lock the door and 5 min. later he smells us stinking up the woods.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:58 pm

I found out how close they will bed several years ago when I hiked back into a spot and there was a guy set up. I turned around and left. Made it back to my truck and was going to leave when I decided to sit in the woods right near my truck where I could at least watch a big field. I was literally 40 yards or so from my truck and not expecting to see anything, Right around prime time i hear something get up and come my way. I had no time to even get my bow in hand and here came this dandy buck. He never knew I was there as he walked past. I set up there again the next night and same thing happened. But I got off a shot. Just too bad I missed. I have found numerous spots really close to roads that the sign is incredible. One of the best places I hunt is really close to 41 and always see deer. Just tough hearing the cars and the constant movement of them.
Was pretty cool when I joined this site and watched marsh bucks and heard others talking about these overlooked spots. Now I am always checking areas close to roads or lots.....
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:28 am

This is interesting and pretty consistent with something I saw this weekend.

On Sunday morning, I was walking for about 40 mins in the dark. It was a quiet walk down an overgrown logging road, and we had snow falling. Didn't see a darn thing all morning, but when I got back to my truck, I noticed a BIG set of tracks in the fresh snow. I decided to follow it down the road I had just walked 4 hours earlier. These were fresh tracks in the falling snow couldn't have been more than an hour old. This deer walked right down this damn logging road, past my truck, during daylight hours. I would have been better off climbing a tree right there and saving myself the long walk!
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:20 am

That's funny, I went 2 mi. down a logging road once in fresh snow. Not one track when I was coming out in 2 mi. I get to my cabin and there is a deer track about 10' from the steps. The deer was there cause a big maple came down and it was eating the browse. Still can't believe that one.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:13 am

I can't count how many times I've walked out from being pretty deep in public land and not seeing much only to see or bust deer standing within 30 yards of the parking lot.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:37 am

There is one place I hunt and kill big bucks that is only about 300 yards from the road. I have another spot that has a lot of scrapes and beds and is exactly 60 yards from the road. I laugh when I hear everyone talking about public land and you have to walk really far in. Sometimes this is the case but not always. I just laugh and tell them no different.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:26 am

A couple years ago I was scouting a new-to-me state wildlife area. Stand on my back,bow in hand,never found a spot I wanted to set up from one particular access. On my back I followed the property line and jumped a dandy buck who's bed overlooked the access path to the parking lot. His back was to the deep end of someone's backyard.

One of the Beast members may know the spot. East side access. Popular with pheasant hunters...Any ideas JM?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”