Has anyone ever had a problem with the Lone Wolf buckles?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ruger

Re: Has anyone ever had a problem with the Lone Wolf buckles

Unread postby Ruger » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:29 am

No issues with the buckle but ropes are quieter and I feel that I can get the ropes tighter than the buckle

LSUslik

Unread postby LSUslik » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:06 am

Yes, but only once - very scary to say the least. It was top step also. I quit using for my top step for a while but since trusting them more will use for top step. It was on the way down and I take stand out every hunt. Still can't tell you why but do not trust them 100%. I always make sure I have a good grip when climbing out and in the spots where you are too vulnerable when climbing. I'm still a firm believer in lw. Just be cautious. I hunt close to 30 ft, if possible, usually and use 3-4 lw and one short gorilla for narrow spots or trees w limbs. I still to this day double check stiks to make sure gripping well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:11 am

I had trouble with a buckle slipping one time, but the cause was wet bark had gummed up the teeth. Drug it out with my knife & problem solved.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:14 am

I used those ropes and they aren't all that great...The buckles are much better IMO.

I think the problem some people are having is stick tight's or beggar's lice whatever you call them...They get down under the buckle and your belt will slip. 99.9 percent of the buckle problems I have seen were this.
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks for all the replies guys - I feel very, very confident in the straps - much more so than I think I would in the ropes.

I was pretty sure this thread would have the responses that it does - most everyone hasn't had an issue with one or two people having a minor slip.

It would take a lot for me to ditch my straps - they're part of what makes the setup so secure. Furthermore I feel totally confident that Lone Wolf has done the R&D required to provide the absolute highest quality equipment that they can - end of story. If something worked better than the buckles, then they'd be on the steps or stand.
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:24 am

I put inner tube over all my buckles. No problems last year or this year until a hunt last saturday... the inner tube "sucked" under the cam along with the strap on my stand making it slip down... good thing I had to re-adjust my stand and I noticed it the second time before I actually climbed in.

It could have been bad. This is, of course, all my fault due to modifying the stand and in no way has anything to do with the safety of the product as it is stock. Since we were on the subject I wanted to throw that out there to anyone who uses inner tube on the buckles. Make sure they don't ride down, keep an eye on them.

Lone wolf makes awesome products
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:32 am

I had a USA buckle fail as I was stepping onto my platform. My platform fell on an angle, but there was no big danger as I was wearing my harness. I thought it was something I did, so I tried resecuring the platform again with the same result. This was a strap that hadn't been used very much at all and was never left out for more than an evening here or there. I bet I used that particular strap maybe 15 times at most. I replaced it immediately.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:08 am

CountryJoe wrote:I had a USA buckle fail as I was stepping onto my platform. My platform fell on an angle, but there was no big danger as I was wearing my harness. I thought it was something I did, so I tried resecuring the platform again with the same result. This was a strap that hadn't been used very much at all and was never left out for more than an evening here or there. I bet I used that particular strap maybe 15 times at most. I replaced it immediately.

Exact same thing happened to me with an XOP strap. I called Andy from XOP and he sent me 3 new straps. 1 of the new straps ended up doing the same thing. I was starting to wonder if the yak grips were so tight that it was putting just enough pressure on the buckle to keep it from clamping down all the way. But the other two straps worked fine with the yak grips on them. I did find out that the versa button can fit two straps over it and still function. I have the extra strap so I just use two on the versa button. I do not like the hook on the orange/gold colored secondary strap that comes with the stand. The two straps work like a charm and gives me the added safety warm and fuzzy feeling.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 am

AntlerAddiction wrote:I put inner tube over all my buckles. No problems last year or this year until a hunt last saturday... the inner tube "sucked" under the cam along with the strap on my stand making it slip down... good thing I had to re-adjust my stand and I noticed it the second time before I actually climbed in.

It could have been bad. This is, of course, all my fault due to modifying the stand and in no way has anything to do with the safety of the product as it is stock. Since we were on the subject I wanted to throw that out there to anyone who uses inner tube on the buckles. Make sure they don't ride down, keep an eye on them.

Yeah used the inner tubes and they don't work well, went to the yakgrips and they have been great so far.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:20 pm

No issue with mine and they are the Chinese crap. I also did the inner tube mod, which likely keeps dirt/debris out of the buckles. I also recently did the rope mod and lovin it. Only buckles I use now are 1 on the stand and 1 as a linemans belt.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:38 pm

AntlerAddiction wrote:I put inner tube over all my buckles. No problems last year or this year until a hunt last saturday... the inner tube "sucked" under the cam along with the strap on my stand making it slip down... good thing I had to re-adjust my stand and I noticed it the second time before I actually climbed in.

Very good point. I had the same thing happen and the reason why I switched to Yak grips on my current buckles.

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:22 am

No problems here. Chinese sticks and innertubes over the buckles. Going strong for 2.5 years.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”