Wind observation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bhuntin

Wind observation

Unread postby Bhuntin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:27 am

Hey guys wanted to throw this out for discussion. So this year on the morning I shot my buck (Halloween) the winds were going to be 15-20mph. With such strong winds I thought the wind would blow consistently more or less from the same general direction. Over the course of the morning I noticed that every so often the wind would blow for a period of time up to about a minute in length in the exact opposite direction and then switch back. I got to thinking about this and what might be going on. It started to remind me a lot of the waves at the beach. You get a set of waves come in and then the water sucks back out to the ocean until the next set of waves comes in. On these strong windy days could the wind gusts be acting just like the waves in the ocean?

Again this was just an observation and suspected theory. Anyone else ever have this experience or have any other ideas as to why the wind would switch 180 and back again on these high wind days?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Wind observation

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:34 am

Heavy winds are unpredictable... A light consistent wind is best in my opinion. Wind is a lot like water. When it hits things at a higher rate of speed it seems to cause swirling and deflection... As for you wave theory, I don't know, but have seen the same thing in areas with hills or obstacles.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:20 pm

No wind is terrible too! We had no wind tonight, even thought I was in a nice "clean" spot my milkweed seeds were swirling a new direction everythime I threw one. Although it took them to go anywhere.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 am

James wrote:No wind is terrible too! We had no wind tonight, even thought I was in a nice "clean" spot my milkweed seeds were swirling a new direction everythime I threw one. Although it took them to go anywhere.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree... Bucks seem to move well on no wind nights, but scent pooling and thermal shifts can wreck the hunt easily...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”