Heartbreaker

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bigburner

Heartbreaker

Unread postby Bigburner » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:09 am

Had a rough day yesterday in the deer woods yesterday, just couldn't catch a break. I got out of the house early for an all day sit finally got may act together at the truck and got to my spot a little later than had planned. About 1/2 hour before sun rise began ascending the tree and got to my forth stick and in the gray light and the does start coming out of their bedding like circus elephants. About a dozen and proceeded to my location so I got pinned to the tree for about 25 minutes with 4 of them directly under me. Physically painful standing on your sticks that long. Anyway scratched the early morning doe plan for meat. At about 11 am after zero activity at the first spot I move to this pinch point between the marsh edge the woods and a inside field corner. This thing is textbook. I was just about finished w/ setting up and a doe comes by and b-lines it for the bedding next to the field then a 1.5 old buck wizzes by. My bow is still on the ground and the biggest buck I've ever seen on stand comes drifting in at 25 yards behind me broadside and stands there for about two minutes before making chase and I'm completely stuck. He was easy 160" . I really try hard to kill older bucks regardless of antler size b ut he was just gnarly. Trash everywhere he looked like Don King he had so much stuff going on, on top of his head. You know when you see those really old bucks how their inside corners of their eyes have really long deep recess giant Roman nose and and tank of a body. Just a beutiful animal. Another doe flew by at mach speed and he was gone. Tough scenerio to play out how if I was there minutes earlier it would have changes the outcome. I sat there for the rest of the day in hopes that there would be a likely hood that he would come back by or that another mature buck would drift through . Just hung out with fawns after that all day. I had two buck fawns bed under me for the better part of 4 hours. The field to the north of me was private and the hunting tennent likes to drive his truck in an park it the middle of the field so that whats he did with crossbow in hand to sit on his box blind on the field edge. Unreal . Every deer I saw after that, that wanted to enter the field saw the truck and u turned. During the course of the afternoon I had a red fox come by, two grey foxes, a coon and metaphorically a skunk gathering big balls of leaves and pulling them into his den. When I got down after shooting light I was packing my stuff and heard a rustle coming towards me. The skunk both literally and figuratively. Awesome day in the woods but the what-if's are killing me.

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Heartbreaker

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:30 am

You will have days like that. Better than not seeing a thing all day though!

By the way the way your descriptions of what you saw are awesome. Keep it up it takes about 15 seconds for a season to change this time of year!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:45 am

Sounds like a great day in the woods to me. Plenty of action is everything you can ask for.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:48 am

Murphys law- gets me at times too. I have thought at times about being able to tighten my linemans belt enough to shoot in that kind of scenario if you could pull your bow up quick. I always wear my release in daylight. Hang in there!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:14 am

I know the feeling.. seems im always a day late n a dollar short too...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”