Be Safe a friendly reminder!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Be Safe a friendly reminder!

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Be safe guys always wear your harnesses and make sure your tether is high on the tree! This past tuesday around noon on a all day sit I nodded off in my Lone Wolf and the wind shook me off my seat and I fell. My harness caught me and might have saved my life I was 28ft off the ground and due to the fact that my tether was lower on the tree I wasn't able to pull my self back in the stand because I fell so low luckily I could reach my Lone wolf stick and pivot it to the side of the stand I was on rehang it while I was hanging and climb back in. I had my hunting partner who was on the public with me come move it back at the end of the day so I could climb down. Be safe people are counting on you to come home!!! Also hunting is only fun if you live to see the next hunt! I wish you all a safe return after hunting and a successful season may the good Lord watch over all my fellow hunters this season.

Earn what’s never given.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Re: Be Safe a friendly reminder!

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Glad you are ok, that must of been one heck of an awakening :shock:
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Good job wearing your harness and not ending up statistic instead. :clap:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:14 pm

I agree be safe. I always ask guys that don't wear safety equipment how well they can hunt with busted arms, legs, ribs etc. I'm glad you are safe also. Make sure to hook up so you can't leave the platform of your stand. I like all the Beast hunters and want every one of you to return home safely.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Tether high in the tree is good advice. I like to have mine set so it's pulling my harness strap snug when I am sitting. This way it's literally impossible to fall far enough that you can't get back on the platform of your stand.

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:24 pm

Sounds like you should just stay out of the tree Wolfie. You shot one at 78 yards from the ground, and snuck up on one in it's bed at 16 yards. I'd just stay on the ground if I were you and having that kind of luck.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:41 pm

when I set my strap height, I usually stand on the platform and turn and face the tree. I set it at eye level. that way when I sit down, there is hardly any slack. if I fall, it would only be a few inches. the only thing that would be hurt would be my pride :oops: . only thing is it gets in the way if I have to turn around and shoot to my right side (I'm right handed). I had a 2 1/2 year old 8 point behind me last week at 15 yards I debated on shooting. would have been my first public land deer. I couldn't shoot because the strap would have been in the way, but I was safe and the hunt was still fun.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:13 am

Rome wrote:Sounds like you should just stay out of the tree Wolfie. You shot one at 78 yards from the ground, and snuck up on one in it's bed at 16 yards. I'd just stay on the ground if I were you and having that kind of luck.

Ya lol had a few friends suggest the same lol

Earn what’s never given.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”