Wounded buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jshawk13

Wounded buck

Unread postby jshawk13 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:09 pm

I hit a buck tonight and looking for some advice. The shot was 25 yds with two blade rage. Usually a chip shot but unfortunately I hit a twig and deflected into neck. He dropped on the shot and before I could get a second arrow into him he got up and ran another 30 yds before crashing. I watched him for a few minutes and he didn't move. Thought maybe I hit artery. After a few minutes he got up and slowly walked away into a thicket. I heard h groan a couple times after losing sight of him. I shot him at 4 and planning on looking first thing in morning. I'm hoping he's laying in the thicket.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PLB
500 Club

Re: Wounded buck

Unread postby PLB » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Sounds like he's hurt pretty bad...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:57 pm

I had the same thing happen 2 years ago. Shot him at 3 in the afternoon and gave him all night. Went back at 8 in the morning and started tracking. Tough track job as there wasn't much blood. Found him bedded against a deadfall still alive. Managed to get another arrow in his lungs to finish him. Not pretty but he was in bad shape when we saw him. Take your time and most importantly BRING YOUR BOW.

Good luck. I really hope you find him.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:03 pm

He is done... u will find him!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:16 pm

Yes bring your bow! My brother shot one in the neck late season. Jumped him a few times that night. Lots of blood. Had to finish him off the next morning. Gruesome track job but we got him.

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:42 am

Any update?

jshawk13

Unread postby jshawk13 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:48 am

Long and short of it I did not find the buck. The arrow had no blood on it except for the brodhead. Where he fell twice there was a good amount of blood but other then that very minimal. I tracked on my hands and knees for close to 300 yds before I lost blood. The blood was fingernail size. After losing blood I did grid search the property and was able to find blood in one more spot but again just a drop. I'm thinking the initial shot shocked him or temporarily paralyzed him but the arrow didn't hit anything that seems to be fatal. I do have some cameras on the property and still have some vacation left so hopefully I can get a glimpse of him. Doesn't feel good to wound one..unfortunately I know it can happen but that doesn't make it feel any better. Wish I had better news.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for the update. Sorry you didn't find him. Hope you get on him later if he makes it. Don't beat yourself up too bad. That's a tough deal.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Yeah that's sucks man at least you put a good effort into looking for him

cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Hate to hear it, but it happens. Did it myself this year.
For what its worth, i shot one in the neck a few years ago and found him in a pond not far,,maybe 300 yards from where i shot him.
If you have water around i would check it.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”