Ontario rifle hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Ontario rifle hunt

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:29 am

Needless to say Ontario was a struggle this year finding any sign, let alone mature buck sign, last 2 winters certainly had an effect. Drove up October 27, came back November 3. First 3 days spent scouting in rain, sleet and snow squalls. All our past productive spots were void of the sign that was there in years past, seemed there was 1 or 2 deer in each cut we checked, a lot more moose sign and always fresh wolf sign. Did find one nice car good scrape in one cut, then found another grassy area adjoining a cut that had more deer sign, so those two spots buddy and me decided we'd plant our stakes in. I sat over that scrape which was on cut edge with slew grass swamps and beaver ponds surrounding it then different age cuts on either side, I could see grassy bottoms and far end of cut for approx 600 yards so was definitely busy watching every direction. The scrape probably hadn't been beat up for at least 2 or 3 days first day I sat there, which was promising! But sat there 3 straight days with only 1 buck sighted, an 9 pointer 100ish, he just came thru steadily could tell he was cruising, never gave him second thought. Last day just turned my wheeler off and the wolves started howling few hundred yards off to my left, eh ok, continued to stand, they must've had kill cause there were eagles circling in that direction most of day. Those scavenger birds up there are something to behold, we've went back to gut piles shortly after and it's something outta a Stephan king novel! Anyways about 2 that afternoon seen some movement about my 440 yard mark across cut, got the heart pumping, but squashed suddenly as noticed 2 greys and 1 black wolf were hunting their way across cut, at least I thought that maybe they'd kick me something, no such luck. My buddy sat on that grassy wash which was blown out beaver pond with deer probably the most deer sign encountered, also cut fresh four finger track previous days, but failed to see any deer during his sits. Our guide/friend, we hunt guide only zone, seen the best buck of the hunt 130-140, tending a doe, but failed to connect as he just hung in the really thick stuff. Driving around scouting seen 4 other does. Tough, but fun hunt as hit a lot of new areas, tried rattling in every cut we scouted, walked probably 5-6 miles each of first three days. Jumped a calf moose in a cut 30 yards from us, and seen a bull moose belly flop across drainage/pond after cow and calf that were on opposite side, pretty sweet to see!

I was bored the last day killing some time so I thought I'd leave my guide/friend a picture on a dead leaning tree against mine that creaking in my ear for three days! :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Ontario rifle hunt

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:37 am

Tough hunting for sure. Don't think winter will be any better for the deer.

olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Tough hunting for sure. Don't think winter will be any better for the deer.

Agree I think last couple winters were really tough on 4-5+ yr old bucks that used to at least be able to find, definitely less of them

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:39 pm

Your findings are consistent with the findings of my circle. While this is being regarded as a good antler year for much of the midwest, the northern forest mature buck herd is hurting.

olivertractor

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:42 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Your findings are consistent with the findings of my circle. While this is being regarded as a good antler year for much of the midwest, the northern forest mature buck herd is hurting.

It sucks, but makes me feel better I'm not going nutso!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”