Shoulder hit deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Eddy12

Shoulder hit deer

Unread postby Eddy12 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:59 am

I need some advice on this one. Tonight I hit one most likely in the frnot shoulder. About three inches of pentration and the arrow popped out. There was hair and blood on the arrow. I found a few spots of blood 30 yards away from the shot and then I backed out. Do I have any chance finding this one? This is the first time I havent seen the deer drop.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BigHunt

Re: Shoulder hit deer

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:04 am

what kind of broad head?

my buddy shot a giant the other night same situation as yours and did not find him :cry: , he shoots rage ........good luck!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Eddy12

Unread postby Eddy12 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:11 am

Rage hypodermic... guess we will see how this goes in the morning.

ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Over the years I have shot 2 in the shoulder. First one was nocked down at impact, he got up and walked away. Next one stumbled sideways turned and was gone. The penetration was similar to yours, never found either deer. Both of these deer were hit pretty high in the shoulder.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Eddy12 wrote:Rage hypodermic... guess we will see how this goes in the morning.

Lost one with a rage shoulder hit and my dad has lost two. We stopped using them for this reason. If you only got 3 inches of penetration that's probably not a dead deer. Could be wrong and I would definitely go searching. Good luck

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Don't sound good... Good luck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Doesnt sound good but u never know. . Id still put in a good search effort.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Doesn't sound like the head made it into the cavity. Gonna be a very tough recovery. If you got lucky it might have punctured one lung but even then it would be difficult. Hope I'm wrong but it doesn't sound good.

trophyhusband

Unread postby trophyhusband » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Happens man. Most likely will never find it. Definitely consider 500 grain arrows and a single bevel broadhead

cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:07 pm

That right behind the shoulder in the sweet spot is a lazy old gun hunters aiming point so they drop in their tracks and nobody has to track them...center mass on the lungs is where i aim for bow hunting. And rage are the worst for shoulders...

lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:19 pm

PLB wrote:Don't sound good... Good luck.

X2... Did the same shot last year on a good buck. Found a little blood and hair. After looking for a few hours, I stopped and went in at grey light to body check bedding area or to spot him still alive . He was still alive with the arrow in shoulder. My first instinct after my shot was I hit shoulder and it's not lethal... Chances are he is alive with a battle scar. Rage broadhead

go DEEP or go HOME
Eddy12

Unread postby Eddy12 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:21 am

Well as suspected I did not find him. Followed little drops of blood for 200 yards. Based on the very little amount of blood I'm sure he is still alive. Not blaming the equipment on this one but I,m still pretty unimpressed with the rage broadhead. It was like it hit a brick wall.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:26 am

Expandables have a hard time getting thru solid meat or bone... Regardless of the type of broadhead, 3 inch penatration in the shoulder is going to have the deer survive 99% of the time... Anytime a deer is shot, you should put an effort into finding it, but it don't sound good.
Eddy12

Unread postby Eddy12 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:51 am

Yea i looked for a long time yeaterday. Checked out the known bedding areas as well and didn't find him. I may have found his track where he crossed the road but there was no blood near it so I'm not sure. First time I have not recovered one. Definitely a tough pill to swollow. I will probably be changing up broadheads after this. I'm not sure it would have made difference on this shot but I never realized how bad they are with bone. The tip on broadhead bent to the side slightly due to the impact.

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:09 am

Just out of curiosity, what kind of specs on your bow? I hear the same experience with Rage quite a bit, but it has not been my experience. Wondering if there is a sweet spot on KE for them to do more damage. I put one through a shoulder blade and absolutely powdered the back-side knee joint a couple of years ago, even the blades were reusable.

I'm shooting 72 pounds at 31.5 inches though and getting 75-80 ft-lbs of KE though. Just curious for myself, hate to drop my draw weight a little and end up putting myself in the same boat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”