Shoulder hit deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Shoulder hit deer

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:13 am

Kraftd wrote:Just out of curiosity, what kind of specs on your bow? I hear the same experience with Rage quite a bit, but it has not been my experience. Wondering if there is a sweet spot on KE for them to do more damage. I put one through a shoulder blade and absolutely powdered the back-side knee joint a couple of years ago, even the blades were reusable.

I'm shooting 72 pounds at 31.5 inches though and getting 75-80 ft-lbs of KE though. Just curious for myself, hate to drop my draw weight a little and end up putting myself in the same boat.

I never had a problem with the rage either, but I'm shooting a FMJ arrow a touch under 500 grains at 72 lbs.

I honestly think most of the issues are guys screwing them onto sub-400 arrows and low 60 poundage.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:18 am

It's been mentioned by several already but I'll add one more to the "I've hit one in the shoulder with a rage and never found it" list. I had similar penetration as what you got with a little blood that quickly faded. I gave the deer overnight and had plenty of snow for tracking and following blood and we still didn't find him. I think it's far more likely of him dying later of infection potentially than of you finding him but you've certainly got to put in your best effort nonetheless. You never know, you could have punctured a lung.

And don't beat yourself up over it... it happens to the best of them.
LSUslik

Unread postby LSUslik » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:02 am

Kraftd wrote:Just out of curiosity, what kind of specs on your bow? I hear the same experience with Rage quite a bit, but it has not been my experience. Wondering if there is a sweet spot on KE for them to do more damage. I put one through a shoulder blade and absolutely powdered the back-side knee joint a couple of years ago, even the blades were reusable.

I'm shooting 72 pounds at 31.5 inches though and getting 75-80 ft-lbs of KE though. Just curious for myself, hate to drop my draw weight a little and end up putting myself in the same boat.

I've herd of many folks that are shooting 72# or more have same thing happen. I'd take your particular shots as "not the norm". Expandable swill have problem shooting through bone. Of course that hasn't been the case for you but just realize that's not the case for a lot of hunters. If you're shooting over 500 grain arrow that's a much better scenario. Good luck and my advice is to stay away from bone. We're these mature bucks you were shooting through bone on? Because trust me a mature buck is a different beast than others. I know first hand and everyone told me so and had to learn on my own and as always makes all of us sick! When one has the opportunity to know better; hence, people telling you so. It really makes one sick BC one could've listened and avoided. Fwiw.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:55 am

The one in question was a 175 lb 3.5. My arrows are 460-470 total weight too.

That all being said, no intention of aiming for bone, more just trying to get as good an understandingof the limitations of my equipment as I can.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Eddy12

Unread postby Eddy12 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:52 am

Sorry I haven't been able to respond yet regarding specs. I shoot 70lbs and I'm not positive what grain arrow but it's excess of 400 I know that. Draw length 27.5 inches. I can get the specifics on KE and grain later just don't know it off the top of my head.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:30 pm

I've had great luck with Rages and have taken two through shoulder, one at an honest 42 yards. Now the 42 was an average 2.5 y.o. 165# dressed buck. The other was so close it could have been judo point and probably went through.
I am shooting a 500 grain arrow 289 fps out of a hoyt. Now you go flinging some 7 gpi arrow out there with that kinda of head you will have problems on turkeys let alone deer.
I rarely get pass throughs, in fact I've only had one (out of 12-15 deer) and one poking out

I'm not a rage lover or other broadhead hater, I have my opinions and have had great success with rage, every deer I have stuck I recovered with them, confidence means alot. I would like to switch to the lower KE size ones to get some pass throughs. They keep sticking in deer and FMJ arrows are expensive.
Really would like to try them slick tricks magnums...but that's another thread..
My pal has shot several including some beasts with Montecs. Anything less than a perfect two lunger has turned into a P.I.T.A..
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Ive killed close to 30? deer with Rage heads hitting them through shoulders, spines, guts and even hit the ham once and I feel the big cut helped me out in many instances. With all that being said im considering switching to a helix head in the future.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”