What gives?!?!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

What gives?!?!

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:22 am

Ive been off of work and hunting all this werk here in northwest Pa and I have to admit Im getting quite discouraged. I know I shouldnt complain because I've seen 16 bucks now this wk, but where I'm losing confidence is that fact that all but one were young scrub bucks and even the one I would have shot (never gave me an opening) was maybe 115". Im glad Im seeing deer but am I doing something wrong as to why Im not seeing any big boys? I have to make this happen in the next 2 days because then ots back to work and ive been hunting my tail off and only seeing spikes and forks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Rome

Re: What gives?!?!

Unread postby Rome » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:30 am

Are you seeing big buck sign? Big tracks, high rubs, trail cam pics, etc..? If not, then you are possibly passing on the biggest deer in the area. You can pass small bucks all day, but if there are no big boys in the area, you're hunting ghosts. You can't kill what's not there.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:37 am

Rome wrote:Are you seeing big buck sign? Big tracks, high rubs, trail cam pics, etc..? If not, then you are possibly passing on the biggest deer in the area. You can pass small bucks all day, but if there are no big boys in the area, you're hunting ghosts. You can't kill what's not there.

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:53 am

We all hunt different land and have to take what is out there, what a lot of guys might pass all day long I would shoot in a heartbeat on public land. Know the area and try and know what is out there.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:58 am

Rome wrote:Are you seeing big buck sign? Big tracks, high rubs, trail cam pics, etc..? If not, then you are possibly passing on the biggest deer in the area. You can pass small bucks all day, but if there are no big boys in the area, you're hunting ghosts. You can't kill what's not there.
yes, some big sign and have at least 10 shooters on camera all throughout the last couple months. Just seems like im attracting all the small ones. Fun to have movement but its wearing me thin. Just gotta be right place right time I guess

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:24 am

Id say take one more week off and hunt dark to dark everyday.

admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:41 am

john1984 wrote:Id say take one more week off and hunt dark to dark everyday.

I wish I could do that. Have hunted dark to dark everyday this wk though

trophyhusband

Unread postby trophyhusband » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:45 am

I made a post like this one time and Dan pretty much said if you are seeing a bunch if scrubs you are in the wrong spot. I moved couple 100 yards, saw a giant. Thus was not during the rut though, this was preseason cameras scouting

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:05 am

Keep moving... Hunt new spots each time out. If it still don't work know you gave it an honest effort. My bet is that your hunting the wrong spots. Little bucks are not the same as big bucks.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:42 am

A lot of times our own ambition gets in the way of our success. If you are trying so hard and not accomplishing what you want to. You may be getting in the way of yourself. If you do the same thing every day, the results will often be the same. Ask yourself; how many stands have I hunted? Was I just out in the woods padding time or was I actually hunting? Am I putting too much pressure on myself? Are my expectations realistic for where I hunt? If your area has no 140 inch bucks are you passing 115s waiting for that 140 incher that does not exist? Are you just hoping that wind is right where you are at? When you know good and well it is not right?

There are so many little things that you may not be doing correctly, that you think don't matter. The guys that knock down good bucks every year have many non productive days/weeks also. The biggest thing they do differently they eliminate the little things that can mean the difference between success and failure. The guys that knock down good bucks consistently don't get a good one on every hunt. You are not alone everyone has bad periods. You just must keep going/grinding. Also remember one minute your skunked, a minute later you have one hanging.

I also would suggest you analyze what you are doing. See what you could be doing better and make adjustments, if even for next year. Good luck hope you tag one.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:56 am

Stanley is 100% correct. Excellent advice there!
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:26 am

Stanley wrote:A lot of times our own ambition gets in the way of our success. If you are trying so hard and not accomplishing what you want to. You may be getting in the way of yourself. If you do the same thing every day, the results will often be the same. Ask yourself; how many stands have I hunted? Was I just out in the woods padding time or was I actually hunting? Am I putting too much pressure on myself? Are my expectations realistic for where I hunt? If your area has no 140 inch bucks are you passing 115s waiting for that 140 incher that does not exist? Are you just hoping that wind is right where you are at? When you know good and well it is not right?

There are so many little things that you may not be doing correctly, that you think don't matter. The guys that knock down good bucks every year have many non productive days/weeks also. The biggest thing they do differently they eliminate the little things that can mean the difference between success and failure. The guys that knock down good bucks consistently don't get a good one on every hunt. You are not alone everyone has bad periods. You just must keep going/grinding. Also remember one minute your skunked, a minute later you have one hanging.

I also would suggest you analyze what you are doing. See what you could be doing better and make adjustments, if even for next year. Good luck hope you tag one.
thnx, i have been rotating stands each day if not twice. Ive been sitting downwind doe bedding and leeward ridges. Definately open to changing things just havent pinpointed what it is. Thnx for the confidence booster

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:00 am

admiral04 wrote:
Stanley wrote:A lot of times our own ambition gets in the way of our success. If you are trying so hard and not accomplishing what you want to. You may be getting in the way of yourself. If you do the same thing every day, the results will often be the same. Ask yourself; how many stands have I hunted? Was I just out in the woods padding time or was I actually hunting? Am I putting too much pressure on myself? Are my expectations realistic for where I hunt? If your area has no 140 inch bucks are you passing 115s waiting for that 140 incher that does not exist? Are you just hoping that wind is right where you are at? When you know good and well it is not right?

thnx, i have been rotating stands each day if not twice. Ive been sitting downwind doe bedding and leeward ridges. Definately open to changing things just havent pinpointed what it is. Thnx for the confidence booster

If you setting up down wind of doe bedding areas and getting in there before light. You could be blocking the does/bucks from going into that area. I mean your wind/scent may be going towards where the does are coming from. I often hunt later in the morning say from 10:00 AM until dark. That way the does are more likely to be in the bedding area and your set up may work better. Just some food for thought.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:14 am

Good point

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:32 am

Stanley wrote:
admiral04 wrote:

If you setting up down wind of doe bedding areas and getting in there before light. You could be blocking the does/bucks from going into that area. I mean your wind/scent may be going towards where the does are coming from. I often hunt later in the morning say from 10:00 AM until dark. That way the does are more likely to be in the bedding area and your set up may work better. Just some food for thought.

WOW thanks Stanley!! I've never thought about this, but now that I do, I can think of a few places I might have been making this mistake. It's very frustrating...definitely gonna give this a try

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”