thoughts opinions on shot from last night Nov 5th

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dbl lung

thoughts opinions on shot from last night Nov 5th

Unread postby dbl lung » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:54 am

So I shot this buck last evening. The issue is he was slightly quartering to me and I think I may have hit him in the shoulder blade to far forward. The arrow broke off about 5 inches including the broad head but there is blood (all the way around the arrow) 10 to 12 inches up. The rain started coming down so we begin the search after about 1/2 hour after I shot. We had good red blood but there did not appear to be air bubbles. We saw the deer, using lights, laying down about 60 yards in front of us and it did take off down the hill. The other thing about the particular property is the fact that it is 40 acres but about 2 acres around the house is enclosed on 3 1/2 sides with a 6 foot chain link fence. The deer went into the fenced area. I am hoping it is not able to jump that fence but I guess we will see tomorrow morning. ANY THOUGHTS?

buckmaster_b

Re: thoughts opinions on shot from last night Nov 5th

Unread postby buckmaster_b » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:04 am

Sounds to me like you took a risky shot. Hopefully it pays off for you. I wouldn't think he jumped the fence, but I've seen a deer with a clean double lung shot hop a fence so anything is possible.

Best of luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:13 am

From the sounds of it you either have one lung, or just fresh... Most of the time it will end without recovery, but there is a chance. Keep after him.
dbl lung

Unread postby dbl lung » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:27 am

Dan, the broad head plus 3 inches of arrow are still in him. Does is make a difference with the blood being 10 inches up the arrow ?

I shot him as he was standing in front of my trail cam so with any luck a picture was taken as he was shot and the lighted nock will be seen.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:44 am

Three inches of arrow with the head is not that much penetration. Good Luck
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:43 am

That sucks! I hope you find him or at least get eyes on him in the future.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
dbl lung

Unread postby dbl lung » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:00 am

Saw him jump fence so he had bedded again after jumping him last night. It took him 2 times to get over 7 ft fence but he made with relative ease the 2nd time. We watched him walk off hurting im sure just like my ego. See if he shows up back on camera in the next week. (The blood was still where we left off from last night but there was no more, not even where he bedded.)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:38 am

dbl lung wrote:Dan, the broad head plus 3 inches of arrow are still in him. Does is make a difference with the blood being 10 inches up the arrow ?

I shot him as he was standing in front of my trail cam so with any luck a picture was taken as he was shot and the lighted nock will be seen.

Quartering in from the front, if you got 10 inches of penatration, you still at most got one lung. Probably just got shoulder. Its a bad shot to take. Low recovery rate.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”