scent-lok?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Kraftd
500 Club

Re: scent-lok?

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:32 am

Agree with the others. Bought some scent control clothes a decade or so ago. Started seeing more deer. Thought, great! Then sort of realized I was also becoming more particular about everything I did. Kept seeing more deer without worrying about it.

Still where the coat cause its camo and warm, but not worth the money.

buckmaster_b

Unread postby buckmaster_b » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:54 am

I just purchased a new Scent-Lok outfit this season. Killed my buck the first night I put it on. Was it becused the Scent-Lok? Absolutely not haha.

My better half just started working at Gander and with her 3point5 online discount I received 55% off. I'm somewhat cheap when it comes to things, but I'm picky about how things fit. I like that Scent-Lok offered predator patterns, and for a price less than cheap Walmart brand clothes I couldn't pass it up. I got the full season velocity, and it's really warm, quiet and not bulky at all. I absolutely love the pocket layout, the pattern and the fit. All that said I would not have bought it for full price being cheap, but after having it I believe I would. I have yet to find anything that fits better for less.

Also, I did not buy it for the "scent lok" technology. I have no idea why, how or what it claims to do scent wise. I usually hunt right after work, so I don't do much in terms of scent control outside play the wind best I can.

I will say this. The one night I had it in the field I had double digit deer walk downwind of me and I can't say for sure that one of them winded me. I had an 8 point stop and turn back the way he came so he may have, but I never seen him scent check the air so I'm not 100%. The rest of the deer never gave the slightest hint of a care. I'm not saying it had anything to do with the outfit, just giving my only experience with it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:32 am

Almost every single deer I saw this year ended up downwind of me and only a few showed any indication that they winded me. If I was wearing Scent Lok I would be amazed by thus but fact is I use no form of scent control and don't even shower before going out hunting. All I do is play the wind and keep it in my favor.

I did use Scent Lok at one time and actually believed in it. After using milkweed and learning wind currents and thermals it didn't take long for me to see how I was falsely convinced Scent Lok works. Fact is air currents and thermals cause scent to never reach the deer at times. No magic suit involved. Get some milkweed and experiment with it and you will be convinced.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:43 am

Dewey wrote:Almost every single deer I saw this year ended up downwind of me and only a few showed any indication that they winded me. If I was wearing Scent Lok I would be amazed by thus but fact is I use no form of scent control and don't even shower before going out hunting. All I do is play the wind and keep it in my favor.

Preconceived notions and expectations are hard to overcome. If a guy spends $500 on a suit, he is going to expect that it will work and will actively look for justifications and evidence.

Don't buy the stuff for the activated charcoal liner. By the time the stuff is sewn together and hits the stores the charcoal capacity has been exhausted and there is no way to rejuvenate the activated charcoal without burning up the garment. That is a fact. The military uses this technology and the suits are disposable because the liner cannot be reactivated until around 500*.
"In the deed, the glory"
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:47 am

Dewey wrote:I did use Scent Lok at one time and actually believed in it. After using milkweed and learning wind currents and thermals it didn't take long for me to see how I was falsely convinced Scent Lok works. Fact is air currents and thermals cause scent to never reach the deer at times. No magic suit involved. Get some milkweed and experiment with it and you will be convinced.

Exactly!!!! Can't tell you how many times the forecasted wind is completely opposite of what the milkweed is doing or when the wind is hitting the back of your neck & you drop some seed only to find it travel 10yds then hooks right or left like it hit a wall.
buckmaster_b

Unread postby buckmaster_b » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:00 am

Dewey wrote:Almost every single deer I saw this year ended up downwind of me and only a few showed any indication that they winded me. If I was wearing Scent Lok I would be amazed by thus but fact is I use no form of scent control and don't even shower before going out hunting. All I do is play the wind and keep it in my favor.

I did use Scent Lok at one time and actually believed in it. After using milkweed and learning wind currents and thermals it didn't take long for me to see how I was falsely convinced Scent Lok works. Fact is air currents and thermals cause scent to never reach the deer at times. No magic suit involved. Get some milkweed and experiment with it and you will be convinced.

Yeah, I believe my scent wasn't making it to the deer one way or another. Whether it was the elevation change, thermals or a wind switch given the structure change idk. I have yet to get my hands on milkweed to give it a shot, but I'd like to try it.

Like I said, I in no way believe in the "scent-lok" technology. I just got a good deal and enjoy other aspects of the outfit. Why pay more money to purposely avoid buying name brand, when you can get something better quality for less.
jaymur53

Unread postby jaymur53 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:08 am

alright, so with all that said i'll give my input. i agree with all you guys haha. i had a 160 p&y come in on me the first night i had my suit on... 2 days ago. i missed the shot an inch over back. but i was 100% down wind of him, and i think i coulda come out of a mcdonalds and still had him walk up on me the way he did. with that said, i think its just another piece to the puzzle. i got the suit for 40% off so why not add it to the gear box. but i also keep everything in sent proof containers, spray, i never used any scented deodorant or body wash through the entire year. i mean i do everything that i can. as far as the activated charcoal goes...does it work as claimed, no. but does it absorb some or at the very least contain some odor due to the tight cuffs colar and waistbads, id say ya. and for everyone mentioning the military JLIST, been there and done that. i mean the thing is used for biochemical attacks not scent control, so my guess is of course we throw it away after its been used.... i dont think its a cure all for scent, just like ozonics will spook a mature deer even tho they claim it wont. its the name of the game. we play a game of inches so i figure im taking every millimeter i can get.
New England Bow hunter, Air Assault.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:31 am

It's the rut his nose only smells one thing and that's how they market all this junk out there you can be wrong this time of year and still have bucks go by

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:32 am

While you are buying a suit pickup one of those nut crushers too cuz I seen on tv they really work haha

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:37 am

Thermals wrote:It's the rut his nose only smells one thing and that's how they market all this junk out there you can be wrong this time of year and still have bucks go by

This might be true for younger bucks but most truly mature bucks will still put survival first. They didn't get old by ignoring human scent.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:38 am

Thermals wrote:While you are buying a suit pickup one of those nut crushers too cuz I seen on tv they really work haha

:lol:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:40 am

Dewey wrote:
Thermals wrote:It's the rut his nose only smells one thing and that's how they market all this junk out there you can be wrong this time of year and still have bucks go by

This might be true for younger bucks but most truly mature bucks will still put survival first. They didn't get old by ignoring human scent.

But the most muture will wait till dark lol

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:22 am

It has a cool name.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:15 am

I own a cadre of it. Bought it several years ago and now its just my normal hunting clothes until it wears out. It was too hot to wear early season and often times I hit the woods with my work clothes with a leafy suit over top drenched in sweet after a mile and a half hike to come in spots with the wind in my face in 80 degree weather with brutal humidity. And I've had more close deer encounters this year than I care to remember by paying attention to the wind and tons of scouting (basically" beast hunting") and feel that its hard work that has attributed to that and paying attention to your surroundings and wind. Milk weed works better than scent-lock and its free. If the deer gets down wind. Game over....End of story! If you could magically drop someone upwind of a doe bed wearing scent eliminating clothing with a big fat mature doe and some fawns with her and you didn't move a muscle. I'm convinced you'd last about about .2 seconds before you got busted.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:45 am

Scent lok may not work great on deer but it can help you and your family at home if you wear it after eating a pot of chili. I wear it to bed sometimes when I have bad gas and it really does reduce the odor.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”