Long Read BUT may be Worth it for some

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Long Read BUT may be Worth it for some

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:33 am

Its really hard to put into words my first out of state hunting experience. I think I came close to feeling every emotion known to a hunter, heck even man. I had been loosely planning this trip for quite sometime. My research lead me SD. I wanted to see the great plains and hunt a western state. I imagined seeing mule deer and antelope for this first time and figured it would be good to have some familiarity with an area if I ever got back to hunt goats or mule deer one fine early season. I spent hours at the computer doing research, pouring over maps till the wee hours of the morning. Honestly I was a bit overwhelmed.
Then Monday afternoon I get a call from my hunting partner that he wont be making the trip with me. Im leaving that Thursday the 30th of Oct. SD is a LONG drive from NC. So we then discussed closer options but his work would not let him off. Down but not out I started my research over. I was stressed with trying to wrap up some things on my work schedule and make a hunt happen at basically double the cost which I had not anticipated. But I embraced the opportunity for solitude. By nature I am a loner and I had no one else to depend on but me to rise early and get to spots. I could go at my own schedule. As a hunter I don't enjoy family deer drives or hanging out at the local bow shop during once the season rolls around. Like probably many of you I become a ghost, a lot like the mature bucks we are pursuing. Many friends and family don't understand my loner mentality but as a hunter, even as a man, I must realize God put this into my dna and I can use it to my advantage in certain situations.
So I picked out 3 areas to hunt and 3 locations to hunt at each wma on Wednesday night. I picked the areas after re-reading beast threads. Here's a GREAT tip to any newer, while heck I'll throw all beast members to. Read those threads! Find a hunter you can relate to or aspire to be somewhat like and study there hunts. Ask yourself how can I use this info on this hunt. Thursday rolls around and I pull a long day at work. I think the fact that my mind was on whitetails made it dreadfully longer. I headed home, picked up my wife and then picked up my truck out of the shop (power steering went out). Needless to say it had been a ruff week. I packed the truck and headed out at 9:10 Thursday night on an thru the night caffeine filled 11hr drive through the mountains into the great mid west. A place that I wasn't sure Id ever get to and here I was on my way to capture that dream of a P&Y whitetail. That's probably the best drive Ive had in my entire life.
I arrived at my first location about an hour before dark and found the staff to be helpful and polite. I gave it and few hours and then went in to lay some rubber down and scout with the LW on my back. Didn't take long into my hike that I found a lone doe wondering thru the woods. This was great news. She moved on and about 50yds later I discover doe bedding. Bingo! I went about 60yds deeper and what do you know....Ol' Stanley was right....parallel trail. Followed by thigh size rub and big fresh tracks. I set up and had a few bucks come through one harassing a doe but not what I was looking for. I must admit I was taken back at the body size of these Midwestern deer compared to the deer I hunt in NC. Those yearling bucks were all but the size of the two NC bucks I have on the wall pound for pound.
The next morning I was in the creek early to access the opposite side of that bedding as the wind shifted and it provided a nice funnel. When I arrived I found a rub line every 20 or so yards until it went into the thicket. However after hanging my stand as high as I could at 5' off the ground it just didn't feel right. I needed to trim way to many branches and that was not allowed here. So I packed back up realizing I had found either buck bedding or a the same parallel trail from yesterday. I pulled out the gps and hit the next funnel. I was in action most of the day. 6 bucks and two does. One P&Y that should be at the taxi, and one at 110-120.
The next morning was going to be glorious. I just knew it. Everything was coming together, it was coming somewhat clear to me in the matter of a day and a half how the local bucks were using this area. I was positive I would kill today. All the frustration of past seasons, all the highs and lows, the heartaches and the victories had lead me to this morning. I was in the Midwest, my odds have never been better. And then crack.....I fell to the ground like tree being cut by a lumber jack. I layed their....I knew it wasn't good and I was in trouble. I rolled over, disconnecting the straps to my pack, releasing the weight of the stand and gear. I then rolled back over to yack as pain shot to my ankle. I unzipped to let some heat out and calmed myself down. I gazed up and watched daylight wake the woods. I reached for my ankle and prayed that God would deliver me out of these woods and strengthen my ankle to get out. I stood up about 45min later and quickly sat back down. I had stepped onto a fallen tree and when I was coming down my foot caught a limb that buried in the leaves, slid off of and all my weight landed on that ankle. I drug my pack over to me looked at the gps. I was about 3/4 of a mile back and halfway to my stand site. I knew my quest was over. I tell you my heart broke in the whitetail woods sitting on that tree. My dream for the day was shattered. My season possibly over. I manned up, picked up my gear and the broken pieces of my heart and threw them both over my back and limped back to the truck. With each step I'm not sure what hurt more, my ankle or postponed dreams of Midwest whitetail but I gave thanks anyway and kept walking. I left with an unfilled tag, but I didn't leave empty handed. I hunted that day and half as wisely as I could. I had one of my best days in the stand. I left a better hunter. I had trusted my gut, followed my topo maps, and thought to myself often about Spysar and Bucky's threads. What Dan, Stanley, and Autumn Ninja would have done. It work. I was a better hunter than my current trophy wall shows.
My plea to each of you reading this is to have the best hunt you can. Hunt like its your last hunt. If you do this you'll be so much more sharper and put yourself into the right opportunity. Take your time when your moment comes. Aim small and true and good things are bound to happen. I know I did. I know I failed at what I went their to get and truthfully Im not sure if I get another chance at it. I look at this swollen ankle and think I'd do it again in a blink of eye because its who I am.

KillYourTV

Re: Long Read BUT may be Worth it for some

Unread postby KillYourTV » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:53 am

As a new hunter (at 45), I really enjoyed this story. Thanks for sharing!
[glow=LIME]Mathews Z7 Magnum
CE Maxima Red w/ Rage eXtreme
[/glow]
[glow=GREEN]Summit Viper XD
XOP Air Raid
XOP Sticks
[/glow]
[glow=LIME]Horton Storm RDX[/glow]
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:21 am

:clap: 8-)

Hope you can get back out there and finish that quest!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:34 am

good story, thanks for sharing
buckmaster_b

Unread postby buckmaster_b » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:19 am

good read, thanks for sharing.

I hate to hear the ending to your trip, but it sounds like it was also the beginning to a new found confidence. Hopefully you carry that into next season and soon run out of room on that wall of yours. Best of luck in your recovery and the rest of your season.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:24 am

Great read. Hope you get well soon.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Loved reading that. Tough break but good outlook you have. Keep that mindset, the wall will fill up in time.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Great attitude and great hunting! Thanks for your post.

I have non-hunting friends who always ask, "Did you get one?" They don't understand that my goal is to improve, to understand, and to become a more thoughtful and patient man. They don't understand why I don't draw or fire on every deer I see. For me it's about the methods, the process, and correct decisions. I measure success by those standards.

I think you had a very successful hunt. Keep applying your energy to your recovery and you will be back better than ever. Thanks for taking your time to post.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks guys for the kind words. The swelling has went down a lot and I was able to put a little weight on it today. Its not broken, so that's a positive but it sure is hard being layed up on the couch this time of year.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:47 pm

You don't sound like a lazy guy so I'm sure you'll heal up fine and kill a good buck in your home state. It was interesting when you made the comment on how big those Midwestern buck fawns are. I agree, even though I never been down to NC. Your comment on hunting every day like it's your last day, it's one I agree on, but if others truly did that, they might not be too picky, they might try to kill a big buck fawn since it might be thier last day to hunt ever. But I get your real point. It was a good read, at this time in your life you truly seem to be a BEAST.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckbuster28
Facebook: Alex Slosser

Unread postby Buckbuster28 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Great read thanks for posting it!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:52 am

Life only throws things at you that you can handle. Sounds like with your determination it won't be long until you realize your quest. Take it easy on yourself things will come around :handgestures-thumbup:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:42 am

Great read. As time rolls by, you never know when your last hunt will be. Maybe today, maybe 10-20-30 years from now. There are no guarantees in life. Hunt to enjoy every minute out there. Your story teaches everyone a grand lesson. Your story also iterates there will be falls and accidents, "it is not if, but when". Some safety things are in your control (some not) make sure you do everything to utilize those controls that are. Thanks for the great read.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:35 am

Great post. Everyone can learn from this, we all need to be reminded we're not invincible from time to time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”