it aint so bad....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phishy
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/james.harbaugh.94

it aint so bad....

Unread postby phishy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:14 pm

I am so enjoying this season’s hunt …. AT 830 AM encountered a doe , came in fast, so fast I couldn’t get the release on the string…stammered I did, glad it wasn’t a monster buck…I would have shot her had she given me a chance, but I loved the encounter……

10 yrds, looked at me in my perch some 12 feet up, wind just right…. She came in fast but stopped to look back, she was watching her back, saw me, I was frozen in a near draw, she hesitated, turned , stopped again I drew but was too late… followed her with the bow hoping….then there she was ….gone

Then it dawned on me, she was a lone adult doe watching her tail… I was optimistic… so I sat …. I wanted to sit all day

‘Bout 10 AM the wind kicked up, I was in a precarious tree….. I had chores to do.. I climbed down happy with the hunt.

What I am most pleased with about this hunt was that I navigated in the dark to my tree of choice, I have a great set, either a south or north wind will work here, although the thermals will mess with things… we’ll see what the rut brings, deer travel is from NW to SE or vice versa…

I’ve always done better in the AM, and this was my first morning set, but I needed to figure the landscape, how to navigate, what the winds are doing, and how not to bugger it too badly. I found a water course so I can cover my scent trail… to some degree, there so many trails cris-crossing, food nearby, I know this place will produce…

I think I found my rut stand; it takes me a over 45 minutes to get to it… about 1 mile in as the crow flies, curious route of common access trail, an old skid road, then an indiscriminate skid trail and bush whacking the final 1/4 ( or so) mile, I should be left alone, unless someone comes in from the west, I have a waypoint 400 ft that tells me of a trail and other hunter sign on the other side of this thick stuff I am hunting… but I have the back door.

This afternoon I was taking care of chores…leaves, they needed to be dealt with, we have a neighborhood standard…. unfortunately…

Across from where I live is a urban farm full of deer, there a very large buck with a forked drop tine resides, I fear he will get poached or hit by a vehicle. Today I saw him chasing does as I blew leaves onto my neighbor’s lawn… then a doe ran past me in my back yard. Funny thing, I live in the city , there’s no hunting allowed…but worse yet I was blowing leaves and not sitting in a tree, watching deer running all over on this early afternoon… stupid city deer what do they know about the rut…….I blew leaves in agony

Hunting is all I can think about right now

Thanx for reading

Happiness is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it, so with that happiness is a choice one can consciously make, although often challenged by what happens to us, it is a choice nonetheless.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Re: it aint so bad....

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Sounds like a pretty good day. Cool deal. 8-)
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:31 am

Nice!

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:41 am

Blowing leaves into my yard again!?!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:36 am

Motivated wrote:Blowing leaves into my yard again!?!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:angry-banghead:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”