Your Funniest Hunting Memory?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Your Funniest Hunting Memory?

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:29 am

Wall hanger wrote:I took a buddy of mine that was that was hunting about 150 yards from me. I heard him shoot so I waited about 1/2 hour and made my way over to him. He wasn't in his stand so I followed his tracks in the snow and he was following a running set of deer tracks with no blood. I follow for about 10 minutes and see him walking back toward me. I say to him what happened ? He replied I shot a good one I tracked him for about 100yards with great blood but I decided to back out. I asked him where all this blood he was talking about was. And he said can't you see it all? It finally dawned on me my colorblind buddy was tracking mud that was kicked up from the deer under the snow and didn't hit him at all.

That's unfortunate but funny

Joe™
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 am

Darkknight54 wrote:Nice stories! :lol:
Mine would be dad missing, wounding, then chasing a turkey on foot. My dad was a track runner, but this guy in full turkey gear hopped a fence in 1 leap and ran this turkey down to hit it w but of a shotgun. That was my first turkey hunting experience... he said he was showing me how NOT to do it.

My funniest hunting memory is very similar to this one. :lol:

Back in my late teens I was bowhunting during the rut in a natural ground blind along a field edge. A doe walked past shortly after daylight followed a few minutes later by a 6 pt buck. At this point I still hadn't tagged my first buck so was naturally very excited at the opportunity. He walked by at exactly 10 yards broadside and I was at full draw visions of tagging my first buck were already on my mind. I released my arrow.........and shot right UNDER him. :doh: To make it even worse he stood there looking at me and I swear to god to this day he was shaking his head at me in mockery. :lol:

As I reached for another arrow he decided it was time to leave. Upset that I didn't get another shot I decided to take drastic measures. Back then I had way more energy than brains so decided this buck was not getting away from me. I busted out of the blind and chased after him down hill in a hay field. He obviously didn't know some lunatic was chasing him so like they often do he stopped about 100 yards out to look back and check out the danger. Well the danger was right on his tail and while in a full out sprint I was loading another arrow. When the buck saw me right behind him the look of shear terror made his eyes bug out and he kicked in the afterburners. I continued chasing still thinking in my mind I could catch him and amazingly he stopped again to look back. This time he had enough and headed to thick security cover where he easily lost me.

Definitely not one of my proudest moments but very funny to look back on now. :lol:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:53 am

My buddy shot a good buck in CT about 20 years back...

He decided to drag the deer a couple hundred yards to gut it out cause he still had a tag and didn't want to leave the gut pile in his new spot.

He wrapped his belt around the neck and dragged the 200 pounder a 100 yards, then went back to retrieve his gun.

As he got about 50 yards away the buck got up and kept stumbling and falling.

So he ran to get his gun and by the time he got back, the deer was gone with his belt...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34 am

Bow season 2007 had shot 2 does that year already a buddy calls me up and says he is heading to a wma me and him have hunted a bunch and asked if I wanted to tag along and roll up early and get a walk in permit. I was game. I get to the check station at 2:30 am and I'm 3rd in line. I sit till 5am when the check station opens and get my permit. buddy rolls in at 5:10 and we head to a little honey hole we call the nursery, because he always shoot a young doe in there (oh so delicious). Well a young kid and his Gdad was already at the parking spot so we asked what side of the trail they were hunting. they were hunting the side I usually went to so I told Rob instead of crowding him I was gonna scout in a just as the was breaking in a new spot I hadn't scouted.
Well about 30 yards in the coffee kicked in hard and fast so I roll up to a small sapling for support. and the sun is coming up I can see pretty decent. so I'm hurrying to get this #2 done and it is bad. as I'm pulling my pants up I realize I crapped all over the back of my pants (like exploded). Long story a little shorter I don't have time to drive back for pant. I take em off and hike in my boxers find a tree get set 25 min later a doe comes through I smoke her she goes 8-10 yards and drops. so I text rob he has a doe down as well. I drag the doe out and pop out on the trail climber on my back face all camo'd up camo long sleeve shirt no pants and boots dragging this deer as the FWC officer comes driving up and Rob is coming out dragging his doe as well. the two of them look at me then look at each other and just start rolling laughing. After telling them the story the officer looks at me stone cold dead look on his face and says if you don't go get those pants i'm gonna have to cite you for littering and holds the face for maybe 30 seconds before losing his crap again!!!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
AAAK

Unread postby AAAK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:46 pm

:lol:
Tufrthnails wrote:Bow season 2007 had shot 2 does that year already a buddy calls me up and says he is heading to a wma me and him have hunted a bunch and asked if I wanted to tag along and roll up early and get a walk in permit. I was game. I get to the check station at 2:30 am and I'm 3rd in line. I sit till 5am when the check station opens and get my permit. buddy rolls in at 5:10 and we head to a little honey hole we call the nursery, because he always shoot a young doe in there (oh so delicious). Well a young kid and his Gdad was already at the parking spot so we asked what side of the trail they were hunting. they were hunting the side I usually went to so I told Rob instead of crowding him I was gonna scout in a just as the was breaking in a new spot I hadn't scouted.
Well about 30 yards in the coffee kicked in hard and fast so I roll up to a small sapling for support. and the sun is coming up I can see pretty decent. so I'm hurrying to get this #2 done and it is bad. as I'm pulling my pants up I realize I crapped all over the back of my pants (like exploded). Long story a little shorter I don't have time to drive back for pant. I take em off and hike in my boxers find a tree get set 25 min later a doe comes through I smoke her she goes 8-10 yards and drops. so I text rob he has a doe down as well. I drag the doe out and pop out on the trail climber on my back face all camo'd up camo long sleeve shirt no pants and boots dragging this deer as the FWC officer comes driving up and Rob is coming out dragging his doe as well. the two of them look at me then look at each other and just start rolling laughing. After telling them the story the officer looks at me stone cold dead look on his face and says if you don't go get those pants i'm gonna have to cite you for littering and holds the face for maybe 30 seconds before losing his crap again!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Back in my teens I duck hunted a lot. Dad and I had a honey hole and invited friends. Problem was, they were both bigger guys and this slew was a nightmare to walk in. There was only a few inches of water and the rest was mud. You would take a step, sink to your knee, then have to work your foot out to take another step every... single... time.

Craig is about 6' 8" and 300+ pounds. (My uncles were always pretty hard on him and had nicknamed him Buffalo but :lol: ) We warned him but he decided to try it. Hip boots should be fine, right?

He didn't make it far. It started out with him losing his balance and kneeling. Next thing you know he's falls backwards and has to sit in it (he was in a mud flat not even to water yet).

By the end of it his feet came out of his boots. I had heard every cuss word in the book as he pulled them from the mud and whipped them toward dry land :lol: pretty sure he walked back to the truck bare foot through the bean stubble.

When we got done blasting ducks he was sitting in the truck in his tightie whities!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:08 am

Thee ole poo in the hood. Have heard that one a few times!!!!! It's still always funny!!!! :mrgreen:

I'm elk hunting back in Montana. It was a slow evening. I was just kneeling against a tree contemplating my next move. When out of nowhere here comes 2 nice 20" wide mule deer bucks. The little bit better one is in the led. I'm shooting a recurve. The lead buck hits a shooting lane broadside at about 20 yards. Only there's 2 small pines as thick as my thumbs. 6"-7" apart right in front of him. But the center of his vitals were clear. So I draw and shoot. Yuup!!! Hit the one on my right. The momentum caused the tree to slap the buck hard on the back. Turning him inside out. Off they go.

Now your kinda wondering what's so funny. Turns out about 10 years earlier I had the same thing happen with a 16" wide 10 pt. whitetail. From out of a treestand here in Wisconsin.

First time it happened was only a little funny seeing the bucks reaction. But having it happen again was just hilarious too me. I instantly busted out laughing. To top it off. Both times I was shooting 4 blade broadheads with little bleeder blades. Both times The broadheads hit the tree with the main blades perfectly vertical. Only catching the tree 1/4" into it's diameter. If the heads would have been horizontal more than likely I'd have 2 more racks on the wall!!! :doh: :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”