Older Mature buck movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Older Mature buck movement

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Once a buck reaches maturity, say 6.5+ do you think he does much breeding

I know from all the studies I have been apart of 3.5/4.5 are doing the majority of the breeding.

A particular buck has got me thinking about this topic again....
I have seen a buck that is 6.5 years old this year stay within a 40 acre parcel of land all year long. I could find this deer last year on the same habits as this year.

I know for sure there have been hot does around him. I watched 2 shooter bucks with does inside the same field as the older buck. The giant doesn't seem to have any interest in the does.

Bad thing is, I CANNOT hunt the 79 acre parcel of land he is staying on. He occasionally crossed the fence onto land I can hunt. He has been seen several times this year on the track I can hunt. I setup on a site where he was seen coming out of the woods and crossing the field a week ago. Last Tuesday I climbed a tree as high as I could, and seen him at last light...still on the land I couldn't hunt 214 yards away!

Bucky

Re: Older Mature buck movement

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:26 pm

If that is Northern WI the best way to get em is late season on food or bait. My opinion is he will run does but not until they are peak... closer to Nov 7,8,9,10,11,12,13 in Central to Northern WI.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:31 pm

He is in Ohio. Your dates are about the same as where I hunt there. I am hoping to go up on the 8th, but may have to wait until the 11th of Nov.

Its really hard for me to even imagine the land he stays on can hold him so often. I have watched this deer for the last three seasons, this being the fourth.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Its strange, I find once a buck starts to go over the hill he often becomes more visible, I don't know if he is becoming senile or what. Once they reach about 7 years old they roam around more, even seem to participate in the rut more. I have watched several bucks follow this trend. So - hopefully this year your odds are better than ever! To me killing one of those super mature deer is the ultimate success.

Homebody bucks like you are describing are so tough to hunt. They know every square inch of their small territory and have the local hunters perfectly patterned. Probably your only chance will come sitting a virgin spot. Don't bother hunting tight rut funnels...they know to skirt them at least until they get really senile otherwise they would have never got that old. Look for the more subtle spots, saddles, transition lines and other features in deep cover, the like.

Despite what I just said about most acting a certain way at that age every buck has a very distinct personality and acts uniquely so you have a chance to get into their head - hopefully you know quite a bit about him by now. That was just general stuff.

I have had some luck targeting those super mature bucks in the "second rut" when a late doe or doe fawn comes around in December, and they tend to be the ones still cruising at the tail end of the main rut, say around thanksgiving, so those are things to keep in mind...other than that I haven't had much success targeting a specific one. This year my bow buck probably falls into the super mature category but it was luck I got him specifically, he just chose the wrong bedding area to come back to that morning, I had no idea he was using it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”