ruttin?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: ruttin?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Dewey wrote:Everybody I talk to around here is seeing young bucks moving hard but no older bucks. Thinking a few more days yet.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Same here. Saw 3 yearlings cruising today. Hopefully it will still be good by this weekend.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Here is what Charles Alsheimer is predicting. I don't always agree with his dates but still interesting reading.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/05/12/2014- ... ng-frenzy/

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:58 pm

My 2 friends shot a 147 last night, and a 145 today. Neither were chasing doe's, but were cruising early evening.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:08 pm

Could break loose in a day or two with the higher temps mornings will be better

Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:43 pm

It's been slow for me. Saturday morning my wife and I saw probably 10-15 different does and no bucks behind them. All of the does still had fawns. A lot of little bucks running around, but overall pretty quiet.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:20 am

Saturday morning was pretty nuts at me corner of NE IL. Saw 5 or 6 bucks all acting fairly rutty (not sure if two were the same). Only one was 1.5, the rest 2.5 and older. Shot a 4.5+ at 10:45 am that had evidence of recent breeding on him when I gutted him (that seems descriptive enough...). Does without fawns, fawns without does. That all being said, I had a hot doe in the area, which was probably the key.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:41 am

There was a good flurry of rutting activity with mature bucks on thier feet mid-last week with the cold fronts then but all that seems to have settled down. What I have seen is similar to what most others are reporting young bucks are cruising but not older ones right now. Over the course of the next week that will change.

Here and there is an early hot doe and if you happen to be by that the action will be insane. I would keep an eye on the biggest concentrations of does in my area to catch an early doe coming around but would not start burning my best rut cruising spots yet because that will be far better in a week or so.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:49 am

Southeast WI-Sunday morning, good frost, lots of chasing going on early, what rut sign there was turned off around 9am.
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:00 am

For the guys in WI not seeing much for rubs or scrapes yet, my guess would be you're just not on the bucks or the bucks aren't there. The rut may not be in full swing yet but scraping without a doubt should be and it likely won't be popping up in your spots if it hasn't already. You've just got to get out there and find the sign because I assure you it's there by now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”